Thread: Cleaning the WeberQ Grates

TVWBB Super Fan

Cleaning the WeberQ Grates

What do you members use to clean the grates on your Weber Q? Can you use the Weber Cleaning Brush?

TVWBB Member
    If you are referring to what grill brush, I prefer this one. I use it upon completion of cooking while it is still hot.

If you are referring to how to refurb nasty grates, I like sos or Brillo soap/steel wool pads.
    Weber Q3200 home and Q1200 travel .
    Projects for sale: Q2200, Q200 & Q120

When I had my Q300, I found they were quite sensitive to metal cleaning brushes.
    That was the biggest drawback of the Q for me - that if you tried to really clean the grates off with a metal brush, you scratched the porcelain coating off and they started to rust.

After years of metal brushes, in May I ended up going to a plastic brush used when the grill was cool and found that worked well in conjunction with keeping my new grates well-oiled.
    Redhead 1000 - "Keeper" | $10 Greenhead 1000LX | Silver A Freebie - For Sale Soon | Silver B @ the Summer Place "Cape Grill"

When I was using metal bristle brushes I used one similar in shape to what Mark linked, though mine were marketed by Cave Tools. In terms of their effectiveness at cleaning a variety of grates I LOVED using them. But now that I've abandoned metal bristles I'm using the Char-Broil nylon brush. Of the several other cleaning tools I've tried, it is my next favorite, including for use on a Q series. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...J3C28I/tvwb-20

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark B in STL View Post
    If you are referring to what grill brush, I prefer this one. I use it upon completion of cooking while it is still hot.

If you are referring to how to refurb nasty grates, I like sos or Brillo soap/steel wool pads.
    I got one of these a few days ago. I really like it, Thanks Mark B

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan RS in Mass View Post
    When I had my Q300, I found they were quite sensitive to metal cleaning brushes.
    That was the biggest drawback of the Q for me - that if you tried to really clean the grates off with a metal brush, you scratched the porcelain coating off and they started to rust.

After years of metal brushes, in May I ended up going to a plastic brush used when the grill was cool and found that worked well in conjunction with keeping my new grates well-oiled.
    I too have the same concern regarding a metal brush scratching the porcelain coating off and then gathering rust, thus, the reason for my question. Thanx to all for your excellent advice!
    Last edited by Richard Garcia; 09-25-2018 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    When I was using metal bristle brushes I used one similar in shape to what Mark linked, though mine were marketed by Cave Tools. In terms of their effectiveness at cleaning a variety of grates I LOVED using them. But now that I've abandoned metal bristles I'm using the Char-Broil nylon brush. Of the several other cleaning tools I've tried, it is my next favorite, including for use on a Q series. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...J3C28I/tvwb-20
    BFletcher - this is very similar to the brush I have, which is also a Char-Broil.
    I liked the way it worked on the Q.
    Redhead 1000 - "Keeper" | $10 Greenhead 1000LX | Silver A Freebie - For Sale Soon | Silver B @ the Summer Place "Cape Grill"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan RS in Mass View Post
    BFletcher - this is very similar to the brush I have, which is also a Char-Broil.
    I liked the way it worked on the Q.
    Thanks for the update, Ryan; I was curious as to what you were using.