Cleaning the WeberQ Grates

If you are referring to what grill brush, I prefer this one. I use it upon completion of cooking while it is still hot.

If you are referring to how to refurb nasty grates, I like sos or Brillo soap/steel wool pads.

When I had my Q300, I found they were quite sensitive to metal cleaning brushes.
That was the biggest drawback of the Q for me - that if you tried to really clean the grates off with a metal brush, you scratched the porcelain coating off and they started to rust.

After years of metal brushes, in May I ended up going to a plastic brush used when the grill was cool and found that worked well in conjunction with keeping my new grates well-oiled.

When I was using metal bristle brushes I used one similar in shape to what Mark linked, though mine were marketed by Cave Tools. In terms of their effectiveness at cleaning a variety of grates I LOVED using them. But now that I've abandoned metal bristles I'm using the Char-Broil nylon brush. Of the several other cleaning tools I've tried, it is my next favorite, including for use on a Q series. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00IJ3C28I/tvwb-20

When I had my Q300, I found they were quite sensitive to metal cleaning brushes.
That was the biggest drawback of the Q for me - that if you tried to really clean the grates off with a metal brush, you scratched the porcelain coating off and they started to rust.

After years of metal brushes, in May I ended up going to a plastic brush used when the grill was cool and found that worked well in conjunction with keeping my new grates well-oiled.

I too have the same concern regarding a metal brush scratching the porcelain coating off and then gathering rust, thus, the reason for my question. Thanx to all for your excellent advice!

Last edited:
When I was using metal bristle brushes I used one similar in shape to what Mark linked, though mine were marketed by Cave Tools. In terms of their effectiveness at cleaning a variety of grates I LOVED using them. But now that I've abandoned metal bristles I'm using the Char-Broil nylon brush. Of the several other cleaning tools I've tried, it is my next favorite, including for use on a Q series. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00IJ3C28I/tvwb-20

BFletcher - this is very similar to the brush I have, which is also a Char-Broil.
I liked the way it worked on the Q.

Back