Q 3200 cradle repair question

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hi Gang,

I have a new Q 3200. The cradle was cracked and Weber shipped a new cradle and cookbox as an assembly. It would be simpler to just swap-out cradles; is that possible? I guess I ask because I read your posts sometimes where people get themselves into pickles when attempting to completely remove burner tube screws. Can I safely remove the screws that secure the cradle to the cookbox? Thx.

I have had mine completely disassembled without issues. I think the rumors of problems are with cradle screws removal in older models that have become brittle over years of heat.

Thanks for the feedback. To better describe the issue, the original plastic base/legs is broken. Rather than swapping burner tubes, the igniter, regulator, manifold, etc. it would be simpler to just remove the replacement plastic base from what Weber shipped and install it on the store-bought firebox that has the cracked base. Weber shipped a new plastic base that was mounted to a new gutted firebox.

They're awfully small photos but looks like the cradle is broken. Don't really get the second photo though. I don't think the components are all that hard to swap though

I have only completed disassembled an older Q200. Yes, the ceramic spacers are a problem. Some of mine were cracked. Still, it was certainly doable, although one screw was stuck pretty badly. On a newer grill it would be much easier. I would say go for it!

Gracias, members; it will be several days before I'm able to tackle this, so I appreciate the quick feedback!

The cradles are attached to the cookbox with 4 Torx bolts (I can't remember which size, but they are in the T25/T27/T30 range).

I've rehabbed 3 Q300/Q320 grills this summer and on all 3, the cookbox was removed in the same manner on all 3. Good luck!

It's simple, if you can loosen all the screws on the old unit then what you want to do is possible. If a screw in the old unit is stripped or whatever, then you just swap the parts. The ceramic or whatever spacers are brittle and unobtainium so be careful. The fact that those spacers are unavailable lost my faith in weber long ago.

Yah, I have rehabbed three or four Q3xxx grills and each time I have removed the cook box from the stand. It is not difficult at all but you do need a torx bit like JKim mentions.

Be carefull with the Q grills though. Those ceramic spaces many times are cracked and fall apart or break if they fall out when you are taking it apart. Weber doesn't sell them and I know of no aftermarket source for them either. Sometimes you have to put them back in pieces which is a pain.

I have when I tried to make my Q300 into a portable. Just don’t lose the spacers...
I would love to try and make my Q300 into a portable. I find 1 burner kind of limiting and the cart of the 300 sucks for moving it around as no front wheels and you have to grab it by the shelf and it pops out and apart most of the time. Any luck with that? Has anyone tried modding the cart to make it easy to move around?
Thanks
Joe

Yah, I have rehabbed three or four Q3xxx grills and each time I have removed the cook box from the stand. It is not difficult at all but you do need a torx bit like JKim mentions.

Be carefull with the Q grills though. Those ceramic spaces many times are cracked and fall apart or break if they fall out when you are taking it apart. Weber doesn't sell them and I know of no aftermarket source for them either. Sometimes you have to put them back in pieces which is a pain.
Bruce - I love your tag line. I may have to get that made into a bumper sticker for my van. Just this week I picked up 2 Genesis Silvers (one with side burner $60, the other free), Q300 (free), Q120 ($40), Spirit E310 (free).

Thanks for the feedback. To better describe the issue, the original plastic base/legs is broken. Rather than swapping burner tubes, the igniter, regulator, manifold, etc. it would be simpler to just remove the replacement plastic base from what Weber shipped and install it on the store-bought firebox that has the cracked base. Weber shipped a new plastic base that was mounted to a new gutted firebox.

https://i.imgur.com/iKKtIli.jpg[/img]']
Hi. Do you have a cookbox for a Q300. 320, 3200? Saw an old post.

Back