Always A Weber Fan!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Those of you who have gotten to know me a little from this board know that I have an out-of-control curiosity and too many collector dreams. Lately, I have posted about everything from a high-end TEC infrared to a pitiful Sunbeam clunker. I also have spent some time learning about and even renovating Broilmasters. Some may be wondering if I am straying from Weber which is what this forum is all about.

I want to say, unequivocably, that I will ALWAYS be a loyal Weber fan. I love their style, the history and many of their ground-breaking and image setting products. Does that mean I will blindly support whatever they do? No. Weber has made mistakes in the past (think gas kettle) and still do today ("limited" edition red kettle fiasco). I don't mind any of us calling out these shortcomings as long as we are fair and give credit where credit is due. Were it not for the innovations of George Stephens & Weber, we might still be using grills like the Sunbeam box I picked up for fun:p. When I compare other brands - even a + $2000 TEC grill - I see so many ways that Weber does it better.

So, Weber is still my brand of favor. My artist friend - who hand-painted some of the kettle handles you may have seen in my posts under that section - is writing a book about his life. How he came to live in our campground community is a part of his story, and since I am in charge of the grounds I guess I figure in. He wanted to shoot a few pictures of me for his book, so one set we did was on my little deck surrounded by some of my favorite Weber grills. "In your natural habitat" my artist friend said!

Jon & Weber Final.jpg

A Weber fan for life!:cool:

My artist friend's handiwork. He HAND-PAINTED THIS!!!

IMG_2023.jpg

Last edited:
Nice herd there. I’ll admit I have the Weber brand envy. It’s all I own. I am also loyal to Ford, John Deere, Stihl, etc. I find a brand and stick to it.

Those of you who have gotten to know me a little from this board know that I have an out-of-control curiosity and too many collector dreams. Lately, I have posted about everything from a high-end TEC infrared to a pitiful Sunbeam clunker. I also have spent some time learning about and even renovating Broilmasters. Some may be wondering if I am straying from Weber which is what this forum is all about.

I want to say, unequivocably, that I will ALWAYS be a loyal Weber fan. I love their style, the history and many of their ground-breaking and image setting products. Does that mean I will blindly support whatever they do? No. Weber has made mistakes in the past (think gas kettle) and still do today ("limited" edition red kettle fiasco). I don't mind any of us calling out these shortcomings as long as we are fair and give credit where credit is due. Were it not for the innovations of George Stephens & Weber, we might still be using grills like the Sunbeam box I picked up for fun:p. When I compare other brands - even a + $2000 TEC grill - I see so many ways that Weber does it better.

So, Weber is still my brand of favor. My artist friend - who hand-painted some of the kettle handles you may have seen in my posts under that section - is writing a book about his life. How he came to live in our campground community is a part of his story, and since I am in charge of the grounds I guess I figure in. He wanted to shoot a few pictures of me for his book, so one set we did was on my little deck surrounded by some of my favorite Weber grills. "In your natural habitat" my artist friend said!

2008j2h.jpg

A Weber fan for life!:cool:

My artist friend's handiwork. He HAND-PAINTED THIS!!!

30t17cp.jpg

How come no beer in your hand looks like a chick fila soda. One day gonna PM you and get down that way you got to have beer though. :)

How come no beer in your hand looks like a chick fila soda. One day gonna PM you and get down that way you got to have beer though. :)

That’s ice tea! Chick Fil A is a personal favorite, and I am a big ice tea fan.

Brian,
It would be great fun to meet in person. I am afraid that on our little campground it will have to be ice tea or something similar;), but I will make it up to you with some good bbq!

:maroonkettle:

Jon

Jon

That’s ice tea! Chick Fil A is a personal favorite, and I am a big ice tea fan.

Brian,
It would be great fun to meet in person. I am afraid that on our little campground it will have to be ice tea or something similar;), but I will make it up to you with some good bbq!

:maroonkettle:

Jon

Jon

Beer not allowed where you live?

Beer not allowed where you live?

Larry,

I make it a point to not discuss religion or politics on this forum, but I live on a religious campground with very strict rules including no alcohol. It is definitely not for everyone, but it works for me. I am actually very blessed to live in a little spot that feels like Mayberry in 1955 - certainly quite different from what most people expect in South Florida. If any of you every really wanted to come visit me, I would just take you over to one of our local spots in Hobe Sound. It would all be good.

No worries, not judging just asking. Do people check your fridge or anything? Just curious how hey know if you poured a glass of wine with your dinner or such? Glad you like it either way. Like I said, just questions not judgements

No worries, not judging just asking. Do people check your fridge or anything? Just curious how hey know if you poured a glass of wine with your dinner or such? Glad you like it either way. Like I said, just questions not judgements

Larry,
No judgment taken or, for that matter, intended. Our little community is strict but not a police state. So, I am sure what you described happens from time to time. Most people who come here are retired pastors and missionaries or Bible college faculty, so they are happy with the environment. It is not heaven on earth, but we have very little crime and children run around the neighborhood without a care like we used to be able to when we were kids.

Great pictures! I only have the gas grills. I would like to get a smoky mountain smoker at some point.

Bill,
Each kind of grill has its place, like Bruce’ Signature line says! I think you should consider the 26” kettle because of its flexibility and capacity. You can do a bunch of slabs of ribs without having to trim and curl them to fit. They are hard to find used in good condition, but I think worth the effort.

Jon, your posts here are some of the many posts that make me happy to log on everyday and see what you are up to!
Be proud of your grills and your curiosity as you should be - your posts and contributions here have a ton of value!

Knowing the best equipment is what makes this forum so much fun.
I agree with your personal restraint with regard to politics and religion as well, what I think or believe in is MY personal business and I see little reason to inflict my beliefs on those issues here.
If I disagree with methodology of a recipe or whatever, that’s fair game, I’m sure there are folks who would take the opposite view.
I will support your fondness for Chick-fil-a tea, it’s pretty darned good!

Oh, I’m still trying to find a deal on a 26er or a Skyline now! When I find one, I think I might just have to try to build a shed for winter storage!

Last edited:
Larry,
No judgment taken or, for that matter, intended. Our little community is strict but not a police state. So, I am sure what you described happens from time to time. Most people who come here are retired pastors and missionaries or Bible college faculty, so they are happy with the environment. It is not heaven on earth, but we have very little crime and children run around the neighborhood without a care like we used to be able to when we were kids.

Well after all Jesus did turn water into wine not "juice" LOL. No worries I get it. In may ways I think it would be so nice to just let the little guy out to run around and not have a care about it. Used to be like that where I live. I could let my girls out and they'd get their bikes and be all over the neighborhood. I could leave the house unlocked, the garage door open and not worry about who or what might wander by. Than recently they moved a subsidized housing community about 3 miles from here. Now I see all kinds of strangers in the hood I KNOW have no business here (especially when they like to drive real slow past an open garage). Buy heck I guess everything changes. When I was a kid on the NW side of Chicago from the time I got my first "2 wheeler" I'd be out riding all over the place. The only rules my mom gave me was don't go past Pulaski, Irving Prk, Division, Laramie. I lived at George St and Cicero Ave and if you know the city you know that's a huge area for a little guy to be just riding around. But it was the 50's/60's and life was different

Larry,

I make it a point to not discuss religion or politics on this forum, but I live on a religious campground with very strict rules including no alcohol. It is definitely not for everyone, but it works for me. I am actually very blessed to live in a little spot that feels like Mayberry in 1955 - certainly quite different from what most people expect in South Florida. If any of you every really wanted to come visit me, I would just take you over to one of our local spots in Hobe Sound. It would all be good.

It sounds really nice Jon. The modest middle class neighborhood i live in is a little bit "Mayberryish" too but probably not to the extent your neighborhood is. And even though we imbibe very occasionally the wife and I prefer tea too. :)

Back