Genesis Gold early 2000's not running right - have to turn on LP very slow

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I have a early 2000's Genesis Gold B bought it for $50 and they guy had it on natural gas, I put a regulator on it and have been running propane through it but lately it isn't put out that much flame and if I turn on the gas too fast it won't give any flame. I checked all the tubes for spider webs and they are all fine and if I open the valve on the tank very slow I get good flame.

Is there that big a difference between the LP and NG manifold? I see on the schmatics that the manifold part for LP is 60147.

I found two places selling them and maybe I should just order it but thought I would ask first.

xWIS4TTl.jpg

Honestly I am amazed you haven't melted that thing to the ground. Never ceases to amaze me. LP and NG are VERY VERY different gasses. LP has about 40& more energy per volume than NG and so has to be jetted accordingly. When you are opening the valves on that thing you are flowing so much gas so quickly you're tripping the safety valve in the regulator. You NEED (and I cannot stress this enough) NEED to put the PROPER manifold and regulator on that thing or you're risking your own safety. Until than STOP using it!

Jeff, post in the buy and sell section that you want to buy an LP manifold for that grill then you can post the nat gas one for sale always people looking to go one way or the other. Larry is the guru on this stuff learned a lot from him get an LP manifold someone here will probably have one they can sell you.

It worked fine when the tank was opened slowly and I ran it at halfway between low and medium. The temps hit 350 degrees and stayed there. I was able to run it for 3 hours at 225 degrees.

But as recommended I am not going to use it until I replace the manifold (already ordered). My 1999 Silver as Grill Grates on it and I love them.

But as recommended I am not going to use it until I replace the manifold (already ordered). My 1999 Silver as Grill Grates on it and I love them.

What? Now you too?! Geez! LOL you GG people are worse than a reformed lady of the evening

Jeff, I have a propane manifold that will fit that grill and I'm like one town over from you. Drop me a PM if you'd like to buy it.

Oh!

I love the Grill Grates except they are a pain to clean. To test them I took 6 large pieces of bacon laid them right on the GG and cooked them until they were overdone, no flare ups at all. I take 16 pieces of bacon wrapped chicken thighs and lay them out all over the GG and do then entire cook only having to turn once or twice, no flareups, less watching. On steak you can get great lines and a very good malliard reaction.
I still have my Genesis Gold for cooking with regular grates so I have the best of both worlds to use at once, oh the pictures don't show my Performer that I have since added (this year).

xXjQWs3l.jpg

A2r62jPl.jpg

I was cooking and have them uncovered when doing that.

Here was winter a couple years ago, believe it or not they are all under the snow, I only uncovered one of the gassers so I could BBQ all winter long, you can see a dark spot in the snow that is the WSM, wanted to see if it was still there

BZY6u14l.jpg

GG - Grill Grates, pain to clean but NO FLAREUPS, did a whole chicken tonight, only had to turn them twice otherwise I ignored them

YyQtihyh.jpg

Well I changed out the gas manifold and still has the same problem, if I open the tank too quick it will either not give gas or very little, if I open slow it is fine.

My Silver B (1999) doesn't have that problem. I will try swapping out the connector hose and regulator to the tank and see what happens.

It sounds like the OPD valve in the tank or the regulator is shutting off flow when you open the tank to fast. When you open it to fast it thinks that there is a massive leak in it Shuts down flow from the tank. It is generally suggested open the tank very slowly at first. Use that or just leave the tank on and use the control valves on the grill to shut off the propane

I don't like to leave the gas open even with safeties I worry about leaks.

What is interesting is that any tank I put on this grill has the problem but they work great on my other grill

Bruce you never leave the propane tank on, could be a leak no propane and its a safety issue. The tanks should always be turned off when your done cooking.

Jeff so you have other grills. I assume you turn on the tank valve then open the control valves to ignite then when your done cooking you turn the gas of with the control valves then shut the propane tank off. I think this might be a few things maybe on that one tank the OPD valve might be bad, or a bad regulator trial and error I guess.

Bruce is correct turn the propane tank on slowly as you seem to be doing and if I understand correctly the grill gets to the correct temps? Have you tried a separate tank and is it the same problem? I myself have never had an issue on how fast I turn the propane valve on but maybe I am just not doing it that fast.

Back