Modified Minion Method

Ray.S

TVWBB Super Fan
I have for years now used the center donut method for firing up my 18.5" WSM. I have been thinking of trying something similar but by not putting the lit coals in the center but in a quadrant such as the 6-o'clock position allowing the remaining coals to burn outward. I tried searching this but have not found anything. Has anyone tried this before>
Thanks in advance

It doesn't really matter where you start it. What would be your reason for pouring the lit coals on the side?

What would be your reason for pouring the lit coals on the side?

Hard to explain but (and these are approximate dimensions as my smoker is cooking and can't measure) Say the charcoal ring is 15" diameter and you light in the donut center of 7" that leaves 4" of unlit coals. If you light the same volume and placed it in the 6 o'clock position you get a more snake burn with 8" of unlit coals. Might not help at all but it might make lower temps easier and also might burn longer.
I'm doing some ribs today for the game so I did not try it but have a butt to do soon so maybe I will try it.

Mathematically it makes sense as the wall of the charcoal ring means that less than 100% of the hot area can propagate outward. Theoretically it should yield lower temps. Since your charcoal is going to expend a set number of BTUs to complete the cook I suspect that burn time won't be affected much. Please let us know how it works.

Used a variant of your concept today, have used Enrico Brandizzi’s “Sidewinder Minion method” for almost every smoke since TonyUK turned me on to it a couple of years ago. It works beautifully for me. I also use the torch ignition since I had a “Alarm clock failure” and needed to get things going PDQ one time. That sold me on the torch ignition.
Lay the fire, light the torch, stick the head in one of the ring holes and, give it about five minutes, Bobs your Uncle!

Last edited:
I just fill the ring, fill the chimney, start it, dump it, and go. It does matter if it’s a full chimney, a half chimney or what, it always goes to about 250*F and stays there ...forever.

Back