Good Old Pot Roast on the Smoker

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We've been having some pretty cool mornings, low 40's, and highs in the low 70's for several days now so I thought Pot Roast sounded good. By the time I got around to it yesterday it got up to 97 outside. So much for the fall themed cook. Used a 2.5 lb. chuck roast. Seasoned it heavily with Cattlemen's Tri Tip seasoning. It's a nice coarse rub and goes really well with beef. Here goes.

Seasoned the meat.

enhance

Got it on the WSM running at 350.

enhance

After 45 minutes. Flipped.

enhance

After another 45 minutes.

enhance

Got the veggies ready.

enhance

Transferred the roast to a foil pan, added vegetables and poured in brazing liquid. Beef broth, chicken broth and red wine.

enhance

Foiled the pan and let it ride at 350 for 3 1/2 hours. Took a peek at the 2 1/2 hour mark. Meat not quite fork tender, almost though.

enhance

All done after another hour.

enhance

Brought it in to rest.

enhance

Man, was this meat tender.

enhance

enhance

You have to have bread with pot roast. Made this loaf earlier in the day. Seeded Sourdough.

enhance

Plated.

enhance

Wow, this was the best pot roast I've ever had. That Cabernet in the brazing liquid contributed to a wonderful flavor. The rub provided just a subtle kick. Will be doing this cook again. Thanks for looking everyone and have a great weekend.

Beautiful cook Cliff, nothing like a hardy fall dinner in 97 degree heat :p. I use the same braising ingredients that you used but never put anything on the meat except SPOG, going to try something different next time. I really like the flavors red wine adds I use mostly cabs, merlots and zins. I did a modified pepper stout beef using zinfandel instead of beer came out great.

Cliff, now that looks really GUUD!!!!
Will have to be fixin' a roast & veggies real soon.
Looking forward to cooler weather soon. Hopefully some snow too.

Back