Rubs and Sauces for dietary restrictions.

AndyC

TVWBB Member
My Dad has moved in with us...he's 81, and has a serious salt restriction. I'm diabetic Lots of the recipes I've been looking at for rubs and sauces call for salt and sugar.

For sugar, am I okay with the usual Splenda or agave nectar substitutions I'd use in the kitchen?

Am I okay to just omit salt, or is it important to the safety of cooking low and slow? If the latter, are there any non-sodium substitutions anyone knows of?

Thanks ahead!
Andy

There should some recipes by Kevin Kruger in the Rub forum that don't use salt. If anything, just omit it from your favourite rub. You might need to increase some other components to compensate OR the amount of rub you use but it shouldn't be an issue.

Go for it!

There should some recipes by Kevin Kruger in the Rub forum that don't use salt. If anything, just omit it from your favourite rub. You might need to increase some other components to compensate OR the amount of rub you use but it shouldn't be an issue.

Go for it!

Thanks Len!!!

I'm brand spanking new to smoking (smoker arrived Wednesday and has yet to be fired up) and was just kind of worried if the salt needed to be there for some part of the low and slow thing to work. Looking forward to giving it a try!

I can't offer any advise , cuz I have this problem also. Cept a regular dinner guest is allergic to onions.

Man, its really tough to cook around that, onion powder is in everything, from pizza sauce to rubs to barbecue sauce.

I have a friend that is alergic to almost everything! I have had to stop cooking for her. Most of the time she is several hundred miles away so, it’s not the issue it used to be but, an onion allergy would probably just have to be my death sentence!

Everything has onion powder, Bush's Beans, Campbell Pork and Beans, most rubs, sauces .........its incredible.

Really is a challenge.

Back