Thread: Rubs and Sauces for dietary restrictions.

Rubs and Sauces for dietary restrictions.

My Dad has moved in with us...he's 81, and has a serious salt restriction. I'm diabetic Lots of the recipes I've been looking at for rubs and sauces call for salt and sugar.

For sugar, am I okay with the usual Splenda or agave nectar substitutions I'd use in the kitchen?

Am I okay to just omit salt, or is it important to the safety of cooking low and slow? If the latter, are there any non-sodium substitutions anyone knows of?

Thanks ahead!
    Andy

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    There should some recipes by Kevin Kruger in the Rub forum that don't use salt. If anything, just omit it from your favourite rub. You might need to increase some other components to compensate OR the amount of rub you use but it shouldn't be an issue.

Go for it!
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    There should some recipes by Kevin Kruger in the Rub forum that don't use salt. If anything, just omit it from your favourite rub. You might need to increase some other components to compensate OR the amount of rub you use but it shouldn't be an issue.

Go for it!
    Thanks Len!!!

I'm brand spanking new to smoking (smoker arrived Wednesday and has yet to be fired up) and was just kind of worried if the salt needed to be there for some part of the low and slow thing to work. Looking forward to giving it a try!

I can't offer any advise , cuz I have this problem also. Cept a regular dinner guest is allergic to onions.

Man, its really tough to cook around that, onion powder is in everything, from pizza sauce to rubs to barbecue sauce.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Thanks Len!!!

I'm brand spanking new to smoking (smoker arrived Wednesday and has yet to be fired up) and was just kind of worried if the salt needed to be there for some part of the low and slow thing to work. Looking forward to giving it a try!
    Don't know if you looked yet but this may interest you. Note the no-salt comments

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?624...hlight=no+salt
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I have a friend that is alergic to almost everything! I have had to stop cooking for her. Most of the time she is several hundred miles away so, it’s not the issue it used to be but, an onion allergy would probably just have to be my death sentence!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Everything has onion powder, Bush's Beans, Campbell Pork and Beans, most rubs, sauces .........its incredible.

Really is a challenge.

the last time I was avoiding salt was sometime around 2006 and I used vinegar in place of it. I just did a quick search, here's a couple of links.

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/qu...hancing-flavor

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...using-0167440/