6 Racks of St. Louis Ribs on a 22.5 WSM - Setup?

Garrett-Bulldog

What is the best set up for doing 6 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on a WSM 22.5?

- 3 on the Top Rack, and 3 on the Bottom Rack. I know this will work, its just a pain to get to the ones on bottom.

- I have a rib rack (Weber 6605 Original Rib Rack - Holds 5 racks) I can use. I haven't tried that many, I feel like the ribs in the center of the rack wont be done when the outer ribs are, and possibly get less smoke.

Any recommendations?

As you said: 3 top 3 bottom. You could probably get 4 top /2 bottom but that's your choices. Coil 'em

These are backs but same principle applies
britu7_450.jpg

You could hang them (remove both grates) if you have a hanger. IIRC there were concerns about the lower ends being too close to the coals though.

Pain getting to the bottom ones? Why would you need to until they're all done?

Last edited:
In the nearly 3 years I've been smoking I have never rolled but I'll be darn if I'm not gonna try this on my next racks. Thing is--and don't ban me for this--right now I'm kinda burned out on baby backs.

In the nearly 3 years I've been smoking I have never rolled but I'll be darn if I'm not gonna try this on my next racks. Thing is--and don't ban me for this--right now I'm kinda burned out on baby backs.

No ban :D . I get a need every few weeks. Do 2 racks. Lasts 3-4 meals and I've had my fill of pork. Then about 4-5 weeks later, the itch needs scratching. Nothing to be embarassed about. Lots of other tasty items to have (AND they don't all need to be smoked either).

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION:

You may know this already BUT don't let the coils touch either other coils OR their own sides inside the coil. No bark if they do :(

I've rolled them and also used the rib rack. All ribs on the rack got good smoke, cooked at the same time, and with the 22 I think you could stand one rack up against the side of the rack. That's a guess. Using the rack you can foil all racks of ribs and they still fit the rib rack. Either method will work.

What is the best set up for doing 6 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on a WSM 22.5?

- 3 on the Top Rack, and 3 on the Bottom Rack. I know this will work, its just a pain to get to the ones on bottom.

- I have a rib rack (Weber 6605 Original Rib Rack - Holds 5 racks) I can use. I haven't tried that many, I feel like the ribs in the center of the rack wont be done when the outer ribs are, and possibly get less smoke.

Any recommendations?

Saturday I used a hanger made for another smoker on the WSM 18 and did 5 racks for my wife's family, could easily fit more although the bottom rib was a bit crunchy (meat past the last bone on the end closest to the coals). I did smoke them for 5.5 hours at 225 that way, next time would probably wrap them after 2-3 hours. So I wouldn't say this is the best way but it was fun.

https://imgur.com/a/isNAG9R

I've used a rack, but never did more then 3 . but they all cooked the same, lately been hanging them, have the gateway? hanger for the 22, you can fit 6 easy, they all cook the same,
the bottom ends cook a little faster but don't burn. The last batch of 3 came out very juicy and tender, with no wrapping

Back