Off topic but this would be the perfect vehicle to haul some classic Webers in style

Sorry I wouldn't drop $26.00 on it. Really hate old VW's

Ah, Larry! Other than being totally unsafe and uncomfortable, what's not to love?!!!

I actually used to have one of those last generation "New Beetle" cars. Mine was black, and I had it outfitted with a classic VW "meep" horn. My older son was mortified and asked, "Does this mean you will be honking at people?" I told him, "Of course. That's why I bought this car!:cool:" Now I am down to sharing a Honda minivan with my wife. If you work for a not-for-profit and have a son in college you have to do what you have to do...

Last January I remember watching the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale AZ and a perfectly restored early 21 window VW bus sold for $186,000. I had a 67 bug when I was in college loved it a neat little car.

I got to thinking that when it comes to grills, the car comparison does fit. I would liken a properly rebuilt classic Genesis to a Toyota (or Honda) and a new Summit Tonya Bentley or Jaguar. Really nice when new and everything works; a continuous pain after that.

Ah, Larry! Other than being totally unsafe and uncomfortable, what's not to love?!!!

I actually used to have one of those last generation "New Beetle" cars. Mine was black, and I had it outfitted with a classic VW "meep" horn. My older son was mortified and asked, "Does this mean you will be honking at people?" I told him, "Of course. That's why I bought this car!:cool:" Now I am down to sharing a Honda minivan with my wife. If you work for a not-for-profit and have a son in college you have to do what you have to do...

You have no idea how hated almost anything VW is especially the beetle until you work at a rental car counter. And you get to tell someone they're getting a Jetta or a beetle or what have you to drive. You get complaints, bad customer service reviews you name it. They would rather drive a smoked out, puked in Kia Forte than a brand new beetle. Yeah they're that hated. And believe me I am not pulling your leg LOL

You have no idea how hated almost anything VW is especially the beetle until you work at a rental car counter. And you get to tell someone they're getting a Jetta or a beetle or what have you to drive. You get complaints, bad customer service reviews you name it. They would rather drive a smoked out, puked in Kia Forte than a brand new beetle. Yeah they're that hated. And believe me I am not pulling your leg LOL

Well, to each his own...just like on grates;)! The old beetle was a poor car made for poor people but it had a weird charm nonetheless. That is, as long as you were driving downhill on a pleasant day.

As to my 1st generation "New Beetle" it never got good reviews in Consumers but of all the cars I have owned, including an Acura Legend, it was my favorite. Fun little car that liked to go. Mine had the 5 cylinder gas engine and a Japanese automatic with manual override shifting. I loved that little car even though it was not practical. I treated mine gingerly and in return it never gave me any trouble. I was sad to part with it and miss my "meep" horn:(

2zfpg07.jpg

wjjkvc.jpg

I think the issue is they really don't take well to cold weather. But yeah sadly the VW's were always the worst cars on our lot. More time being repaired than being rented. I think they're just not rugged cars that can stand up to rental customers. I'm sure with the gentle treatment you had good luck though

I'll chime in. When my wife and I got married in the early 80's we both had VW beetles. A 1972 and a 1967. We were poor then and they were good vehicles for us. They were cheap to buy, easy on gas, and totally reliable. They always took us where we wanted to go. They were also hot in the summer (no a/c) and frigid in the winter (very primitive ineffective heater).

So we have fond memories of VW. Would I go back to a vintage VW? Not willingly.

I don't know much about the newer models. I buy my vehicles based on consumer reports reliability data. And VW is always well behind Toyota, Honda, and Nissan in reliability.

I'll chime in.

I don't know much about the newer models. I buy my vehicles based on consumer reports reliability data. And VW is always well behind Toyota, Honda, and Nissan in reliability.

Greg,

Definitely. That New Beetle was a mid-life crisis, fun kind of car. Practicality and reliability never factored in:eek:!

Well it is to each his own, had 3 VW air cooled beetles in my day and my friends owned one. We could do all the work ourselves really easy grab a case of beer and go at it. Damn shifting fork which driving home one night I got a bit aggressive and bent it, had to drop the damn motor which in a week we replaced it good as new.

Fantastic cars in snow since the motor was in the back the heating sucked had to wire open the heater boxes in the winter since the cables for the inside controls would break, and the defroster was basically useless. Cheap on gas was an understatement took that car to ski country in NH and VT on many trips the worse thing about it was any heavy wind would blow the car sideways.

I remember coming home from a day trip of skiing the wind on the highway was really blowing had to stay in the right lane and fought it all the way home it would blow the car sideways then have to move it back to the right lane and start all over.

I can honestly say those early bugs were a blast don't think I ever paid more than 1k for any of them been to many years always bought them used.

They might get 26k for that as their are collectors out there that will be interested. It looks like a really nice restore. Hey did anyone notice the white one on the left in one of the pictures is that Karmann Gia?

Greg,

Definitely. That New Beetle was a mid-life crisis, fun kind of car. Practicality and reliability never factored in:eek:!

I certainly wasn't knocking your choice Jon. When VW reintroduced the beetle we considered it based on nostalgia. I'm sure the newer beetle is much more comfortable and safer than our old beetles were.

I certainly wasn't knocking your choice Jon. When VW reintroduced the beetle we considered it based on nostalgia. I'm sure the newer beetle is much more comfortable and safer than our old beetles were.

No offense taken! It was a crazy kind of purchase, not to be repeated. Although I will say for all the bad rap the first New Beetle got, for me it really was a nice little car. It felt solid and heavy for small car, but the five cylinder had decent performance. It liked to go, and I often had to watch myself or I would have landed a ticket. Always fun to drop in a tight parking space. Too bad 4 grocery bags filled up the trunk - in the back on this one!

I gosh I didn’t want to start a car bashing thread. 😂 I just love the old classic VWs busses but would have no room to store on. And as funny as it sounds although being from Germany i never owned a VW. But I almost bought a 1st gen beetle once. One like Jon had. This is probably one of the best cars for tall guys. Not kidding. Great leg room and lots and lots of headroom. Way more than much bigger cars such as full size SUVs or pickups.
But when I have sold enough restored Genesis grills to buy a mansion with a 5 car garage I might get a classic car. 😂

Well it is to each his own, had 3 VW air cooled beetles in my day and my friends owned one. We could do all the work ourselves really easy grab a case of beer and go at it. Damn shifting fork which driving home one night I got a bit aggressive and bent it, had to drop the damn motor which in a week we replaced it good as new.

Fantastic cars in snow since the motor was in the back the heating sucked had to wire open the heater boxes in the winter since the cables for the inside controls would break, and the defroster was basically useless. Cheap on gas was an understatement took that car to ski country in NH and VT on many trips the worse thing about it was any heavy wind would blow the car sideways.

I remember coming home from a day trip of skiing the wind on the highway was really blowing had to stay in the right lane and fought it all the way home it would blow the car sideways then have to move it back to the right lane and start all over.

I can honestly say those early bugs were a blast don't think I ever paid more than 1k for any of them been to many years always bought them used.

They might get 26k for that as their are collectors out there that will be interested. It looks like a really nice restore. Hey did anyone notice the white one on the left in one of the pictures is that Karmann Gia?

No the white one is a Type 3 wagon also called the square back here in the US.
And yes the old bugs were great in snow. For driving but not for comfort. Rear engine, rear wheel drive and with snow tires they would outrun every other 2wd car up the mountain. When I was in the military in Germany we still had VW181 aka “The Thing” in service. Fun car to drive. But hard to get in and out when you are over 6 feet tall.

Yes this is the Thing. Used by the German military till the late 80s. Pretty offroad capable for a 2WD vehicle. But anything but comfy and not really suited for tall drivers.

Back