Thread: Ash Catcher Sweep Sticking

TVWBB Super Fan

Ash Catcher Sweep Sticking

My two(2) year old Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill's Ash Catcher Sweep(ACS) is sticking and does not sweep the burned ash smoothly into the Ash Catcher. I sprayed some WD-40 on top and underneath the three(3) sweeps on the ACS and yesterday I burned some hot charcoal on top of the ACS and the three(3) bottom holes where the burned ash falls into the Ash Catcher. This seemed to loosen the ACS a bit but still does not turn freely and smoothly. Of note, after each Grilling Session I always do a good cleaning of my Weber Mastertouch.

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Richard Garcia; 09-20-2018 at 06:10 AM.

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Is the fit too tight? That’s all I can think of, possible that one of the sweeps is bent a little?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Mine usually does it from getting gunked up. I definitely wouldn't spray wd-40 in my grill although you probably burned it all out. You might take it apart and clean up any gunk between it and where it mounts to the bowl.
    Last edited by Dustin Dorsey; 09-20-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Super Fan
    The WD-40 really helped as a few minutes ago is now "swinging" freely! Thanx for your replies.

Yea like Dustin said, I would never use the WD 40 inside a grill or smoker. Better option is to do a quick burn-off ( to remove stubborn grease or a sugary marinade, sauce)
    Then use a food safe spray like Pam for lubrication. Once cleaned, regular use should keep it moving freely.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!