Ash Catcher Sweep Sticking

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
My two(2) year old Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill's Ash Catcher Sweep(ACS) is sticking and does not sweep the burned ash smoothly into the Ash Catcher. I sprayed some WD-40 on top and underneath the three(3) sweeps on the ACS and yesterday I burned some hot charcoal on top of the ACS and the three(3) bottom holes where the burned ash falls into the Ash Catcher. This seemed to loosen the ACS a bit but still does not turn freely and smoothly. Of note, after each Grilling Session I always do a good cleaning of my Weber Mastertouch.

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mine usually does it from getting gunked up. I definitely wouldn't spray wd-40 in my grill although you probably burned it all out. You might take it apart and clean up any gunk between it and where it mounts to the bowl.

Last edited:
Yea like Dustin said, I would never use the WD 40 inside a grill or smoker. Better option is to do a quick burn-off ( to remove stubborn grease or a sugary marinade, sauce)
Then use a food safe spray like Pam for lubrication. Once cleaned, regular use should keep it moving freely.:)

Tim

Back