Here I go! lots of questions they call me the rambler

Hey everybody I'm glad I came across this forum lots of useful info and experienced members! Finally! Somewhere to talk about one of my odd little projects. WHATS HE DOIN? Lol. I've always preferred charcoal kettles, gas grills I've purchased always seemed to be junk and not drain grease properly but it's all about to change!I'll get to it I found this awesome looking grill for my sister she likes stuff like that and I like weber 30$ I'll clean it up and paint it. well for starter I don't know what model it is the long sticker is faded on the right side of cart. It has three burners and to rows of flavorizers 13 I believe I have looked for parts and it would be nice to know. I was thinking some sort of genesis. I'm starting to really like this thing and haven't even used it. It did work checked it once. I ordered new igniter So now I have it torn apart pretty simple I'm almost ready to paint it till I seen a couple post one about using brake cleaner can I use this everywear? I have the paint and I'm ready to go lol. Paint I have the good stuff rustoleum max but I have some hammered paint for the cart or frame will it work has anybody done this? The frame as I was disassembling it some nuts broke inside the square tube can I get these any where or is there a fix for this? I was thinking of replacing the tubes with some wood and using some of those nuts you drill and hammer in? Just don't want to if I don't need to. It was almost complete it's missin some sort of rod to hold up the shelf. What can I do to correct this? I'm not even sure what it looked like. So the more I play with this the more I'm liking it. It's not for me it's for my sister. You know I'm lookin on Craigslist for another just lookin. so that's where I'm at w it. I'm hoping to get it done by this weekend if I can find parts. Thanks! Ahh
Model and maybe approximate year?
Can I use brake cleaner inside of box?
Hammered paint for the frame?
Internal square tube nuts??
I'm gonna try to figure pictures out

You need to post pics use Imgur some use TinyPic on either one there should be a BB code that you can use that link after you upload your pics its a learning curve but Chris has a link on how to do it.

No offense but if you want to be done by this weekend pretty impossible you need to start at this thread will answer many of the questions you might have it takes some time.

Welcome to the forum by the way lots of knowledge here.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...together-a-quot-How-To-quot-Restoration-Guide

Last edited:
Hey Rambler (Tom), welcome to the board! I believe you have a Genesis 1000 series due to the 13 flavo bars and it maybe from the 90s. That grill is favored by a lot of folks here because of its deep firebox (good for rotissierie cooks) and 13 bars which help reduce flare ups. As far as the internal square tube nuts here's a link to one that many folks have had success with...

https://www.mcmaster.com/2417t27

For pictures I like to use a free program called imgur...

https://imgur.com/

I'm pretty sure other members will chime in and answer your other questions. This forum has helped me a lot and the folks here are really knowledgeable. Be warned though, after successfully rehabbing your first grill you may develop something known as Weberitis (just ask the folks around here). As far as parts the best way to get them is to find another donor grill. You can also check Amazon, bbqparts.com, call Weber cust. service, ereplacementparts.com, and appliancefactoryparts.com to name a few.

Last edited:
IMG_2978%203.jpg

picture not showing up

Brian I love a challenge! Jk thanks I did look at the thread a really good one too awesome! wow theres a lot to a simple looking grill I might skip a couple steps but I think it'll look good and work great

Last edited:
Yup, that's the classic Genesis 1000 with the red hood a.k.a. redhead. Bruce did a nice restore on his (and pretty much set the bar for a lot of us). Here's his one...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71...re-Before-amp-After&highlight=Bruce's+redhead
Thanks! Any idea about the year or years? Bruce did an amazing job and yes it looks just like that. I'm gonna use a different wood though. I've had some extra flooring sitting in the back yard That's looking good think it's called ipe . yes I do have weberitis lol kettles though for now

Last edited:
Tom, look on the bottom of the firebox, mine has a date stamp cast right in the box.
Have a ton of fun.
The ipe should be a good choice for the table.
Yep, it’s a sickness with no known cure! I have six coal fired spheres of deliciousness in the stable.

Last edited:
Hey everybody I'm glad I came across this forum lots of useful info and experienced members! Finally! Somewhere to talk about one of my odd little projects. WHATS HE DOIN? Lol. I've always preferred charcoal kettles, gas grills I've purchased always seemed to be junk and not drain grease properly but it's all about to change!I'll get to it I found this awesome looking grill for my sister she likes stuff like that and I like weber 30$ I'll clean it up and paint it. well for starter I don't know what model it is the long sticker is faded on the right side of cart. It has three burners and to rows of flavorizers 13 I believe I have looked for parts and it would be nice to know. I was thinking some sort of genesis. I'm starting to really like this thing and haven't even used it. It did work checked it once. I ordered new igniter So now I have it torn apart pretty simple I'm almost ready to paint it till I seen a couple post one about using brake cleaner can I use this everywear? I have the paint and I'm ready to go lol. Paint I have the good stuff rustoleum max but I have some hammered paint for the cart or frame will it work has anybody done this? The frame as I was disassembling it some nuts broke inside the square tube can I get these any where or is there a fix for this? I was thinking of replacing the tubes with some wood and using some of those nuts you drill and hammer in? Just don't want to if I don't need to. It was almost complete it's missin some sort of rod to hold up the shelf. What can I do to correct this? I'm not even sure what it looked like. So the more I play with this the more I'm liking it. It's not for me it's for my sister. You know I'm lookin on Craigslist for another just lookin. so that's where I'm at w it. I'm hoping to get it done by this weekend if I can find parts. Thanks! Ahh
Model and maybe approximate year?
Can I use brake cleaner inside of box?
Hammered paint for the frame?
Internal square tube nuts??
I'm gonna try to figure pictures out

I can see why you're called rambler. I can't make hide or hare of your post/questions. Why not calm down, think about what you really want to ask and post that in a cohesive manor. It will help us old farts try to figure you out :D

I was a happy guy with a mini and a 1998 genesis 1000 then I saw some of the beautiful grills that these talented folks on here restored or modified. Also carts they built to hold their grills.
I never felt a thing but I discovered I was infected with weberitis. Within a two year span I went from two Weber's to ten, built four work station carts and started rehabbing and flipping early Weber gas grills.
My wonderful wife Barb who also is a forum member isn't infected with the disease.
She thinks she has found cure for my obsession with Weber's, when I find a new grill of interest and I show it to her she just says NO. It seems to be working although I just convinced her to let me pick up a super nice spirt to flip. Just a little stumble on her part.
Hopefully the weberitis will stay in remission.

I was a happy guy with a mini and a 1998 genesis 1000 then I saw some of the beautiful grills that these talented folks on here restored or modified. Also carts they built to hold their grills.
I never felt a thing but I discovered I was infected with weberitis. Within a two year span I went from two Weber's to ten, built four work station carts and started rehabbing and flipping early Weber gas grills.
My wonderful wife Barb who also is a forum member isn't infected with the disease.
She thinks she has found cure for my obsession with Weber's, when I find a new grill of interest and I show it to her she just says NO. It seems to be working although I just convinced her to let me pick up a super nice spirt to flip. Just a little stumble on her part.
Hopefully the weberitis will stay in remission.

Nah, Rich, you don't want to be in remission. You just want to keep the disorder "managed":eek: We need you to still do a flip now and then and to keep sharing with the rest of us. Tell Barb it is doctor's orders!

I think the cure is worse than the disease

Actually I'm getting a little burned out on working on the rehab Weber's with a weak ticker and very bad feet and the high heat. It's becoming more of a painful chore than a fun activity.
That's the only reason I got the spirit and why Barb agreed that we get it. The only thing I did to it was take a rubber mallet and straighten a slightly bent grate. It's now sitting wrapped up waiting for spring to get here and all the new Weber's on CL to go away.
With ten Weber's of my own I certainly don't need anymore or have room for anymore. The green 2000 I bought new in 1998 as a 1000LX and the skyline will always be very well taken care of. The others are tools for cooking which I will keep maintained and cleaned but not pristine.
But I still enjoy reading and seeing the pictures of these great older Weber's being brought back to life. Some true craftsmen on this forum.

Last edited:
Rich,

We very much enjoy your commentary and appreciate your sharing. So, regardless of whether you rehab or not, keep on contributing:cool:!

Jon

Back