4 Packer Cut Briskets on WSM 22"?

Dave Z

I am doing a smoke for a local UK resteraunt this weekend. I did it last year and borrowed a WSM from a buddy so had two WSM and did 4 biskets plus some ribs.

This year, I just have my 22 WSM but think I can get 4 packers on it. I use soup cans on my bottom rack and then plan to use a smaller rack on top to give me a total of four shelves. I use the smaller top rack on top when I do pork belly burnt ends.

Anyone else able t odo 4 packers on a 22 inch WSM?

How much extra time would you think this adds to the cooking time? Or if I keep the temp stable, should it be the same time? Although it is always a bit different each cook.

Many thanks!!

That’s a LOT of mass, I’ve never done anything that big from a weight standpoint. I might try to factor in half again as much time (maybe a little less) but I can’t be much more help than that, maybe Dustin can help, he has done some bigger smokes than I.

I haven't cooked that much Brisket but I did pack 40 lbs. of pork butts into and 18.5 WSM, The last 8 pounder finished after 22 hours at 225. That's about 37% more than 2 hours per pound cook time estimates. The mass definitely extended my cook but I don't know how much it would affect your 22. That's only one data point so I hope others chime in on this interesting subject..

EDIT: Good luck and have fun.:wsm:

Thanks for the input. It is supposed to be terrible weather on Saturday, which is always a challenge with high winds and rain.

The added mass defintely concerns me.

My plan is to smoke them for a good 8-10 hours. Then move them inside at midnight. If I startat 1600, that should be "enough" smoke and then I have 10 more hours of smoking time in the oven for a total of 18 hours. I think that shouldl work.

I will actually try to gather some data and share...

Back