Thread: 4 Packer Cut Briskets on WSM 22"?

4 Packer Cut Briskets on WSM 22"?

I am doing a smoke for a local UK resteraunt this weekend. I did it last year and borrowed a WSM from a buddy so had two WSM and did 4 biskets plus some ribs.

This year, I just have my 22 WSM but think I can get 4 packers on it. I use soup cans on my bottom rack and then plan to use a smaller rack on top to give me a total of four shelves. I use the smaller top rack on top when I do pork belly burnt ends.

Anyone else able t odo 4 packers on a 22 inch WSM?

How much extra time would you think this adds to the cooking time? Or if I keep the temp stable, should it be the same time? Although it is always a bit different each cook.

Many thanks!!

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    That’s a LOT of mass, I’ve never done anything that big from a weight standpoint. I might try to factor in half again as much time (maybe a little less) but I can’t be much more help than that, maybe Dustin can help, he has done some bigger smokes than I.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I haven't cooked that much Brisket but I did pack 40 lbs. of pork butts into and 18.5 WSM, The last 8 pounder finished after 22 hours at 225. That's about 37% more than 2 hours per pound cook time estimates. The mass definitely extended my cook but I don't know how much it would affect your 22. That's only one data point so I hope others chime in on this interesting subject..

EDIT: Good luck and have fun.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5", 18.5", & 22.5" WSM, SS Performer, FB-200 ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Thanks for the input. It is supposed to be terrible weather on Saturday, which is always a challenge with high winds and rain.

The added mass defintely concerns me.

My plan is to smoke them for a good 8-10 hours. Then move them inside at midnight. If I startat 1600, that should be "enough" smoke and then I have 10 more hours of smoking time in the oven for a total of 18 hours. I think that shouldl work.

I will actually try to gather some data and share...

Please let us know how this works out.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke