Cloud or Gateway??

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All I finally got me a smart phone. So now I'm thinking about getting either of these two to monitor my cooks. I need some thoughts from those of you have used either one.

I do have the Digi Q DX 2 now, should I just keep it or move up the Cloud or Gateway? I have a tough decision to make.

Thanks Dan

If you want to be able to monitor your cooks from miles away then you'll make a change. If you want to monitor your cooks and control them without going outside you'll change. I have a pellet grill with a WIFI controller and it's sexy and easy. Impresses the heck out of my Grandsons. :) As much as I love it there's no difference in the taste of the food. I have an Auber controller for the WSM which works fine but I can't monitor it from my recliner. I often cook without any electronic controls to maintain my proficiency for when the next hurricane knocks out our power. That's when my kettle and WSM are really needed.

This really is a personal preference but getting more information will help you decide.

I can't help you choose between what you're considering (though I do have a CyberQ WiFi) but I bought the Fireboard several months ago and I am thoroughly pleased with it. Having said that, I am with Lew in that I rarely smoke with a temp controller; I've used a fan only once during the 6 months of using Fireboard. Or maybe, even, I'm confused about the choices you are considering.

Last edited:
Dan, I don't know much about the Cyber Q but since you already own the DX2 I wonder if you could contact BBQ Guru and see what it would take for you to move up to the Cyber Q. Maybe your fan and probes will work with the different controller- maybe. It's WIFI and if you have a data plan with your smartphone then you could monitor and control your cooks when away from home.

Hi Good idea I posted some thing like that on Facebook I didn't get the answer I wanted about trading in the DX2. It can't hurt to go straight BBQ Guru and see what they say.
Thanks Dan

Hi All So far NO answer from BBQ Guru..I'm not expecting a good answer. I'm trying to figure out a good price for selling my Digi Q DX2 with the WSM adapter. My cost was $219.
New Jersey only I don't want too ship.
Dan

Last edited:
Dan, I should have looked at their site more carefully. The only difference they show is the controller. The fan and the probes work with both controllers so if they will sell you a CyberQ controller you should be in business. Good luck. Unfortunately, selling your DX2 may be your only option.

HI All I'm now looking at Fireboard. I can use the BBQ Guru fan for the Fireboard. All I will need is the Fireboard controller and fan cable.Then I'll also be able to use the Digi G at times.
I can also just buy the Cloud controller? Then I'll have an extra DX 2 controller.
Things don't get any easier do they.:eek:
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi For some reason on leaning towards the Fireboard. I'm really not interested in the 6 probes, 2 would be enough..
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Dan, I don't know much about the Cyber Q but since you already own the DX2 I wonder if you could contact BBQ Guru and see what it would take for you to move up to the Cyber Q. Maybe your fan and probes will work with the different controller- maybe. It's WIFI and if you have a data plan with your smartphone then you could monitor and control your cooks when away from home.

Hi I can get the C loud controller for $140.00+shipping..Some thing to think about.
Thanks Dan

Hi For some reason on leaning towards the Fireboard. I'm really not interested in the 6 probes, 2 would be enough..
Thanks Dan

As you know, they offer a two-probe package. So there's a nice price-point option available to you! Only during a graduation party did I need more than two probes, so from that standpoint I can understand your thought process. But while I have not experienced any recent failures there have been times when I've had a probe malfunction. For those two scenarios, I opted for the six-probe package.

Hi All Last question. What is the big difference between the Cloud and Fireboard? Can I see and control temps from afar with both?
Thanks For Your Replies
Dan

I cannot speak to differences since I don't have the Cloud (I have the WiFi version just prior to the Cloud release) but both are advertised to support remote (afar) monitoring. I know my Fireboard does. The data is stored on servers that each respective vendor manages (I think).

Here's a screenshot of a recent smoke. I used the Fireboard's temp probes and their app to log notes (did not use a fan).

Hi All Last question. What is the big difference between the Cloud and Fireboard? Can I see and control temps from afar with both?
Thanks For Your Replies
Dan

Dan, the Fireboard is hardware and think of the cloud as the internet. That's the difference but Fireboard can communicate with your phone through the Internet using the Fireboard App. That means that when you're getting a haircut you can control the cook at home. That assumes you have a data plan. I don't so I'm limited to only controlling at home. Do you have WIFI at home? You need that to get what you want. Bottom line - Fireboard will do what you want done if you have WIFI.

Back