Grill Restoration - Weber Genesis Silver B Fixed and Painted

Only fly in your ointment is you painted a porcelain lid. No matter how high heat it can withstand it will never stay there since it's like painting "glass". That's been hashed out pretty thoroughly on these forums. It looks nice otherwise and you're really not out anything. If you really want a red head I'm sure you will find a donor with a good lid and than it'll be right. But sadly (for your efforts) no paint will ever fully adhere to porcelain

Interesting. I've grilled 4 or 5 times, no issues so far. When should I expect the red paint to fail? And what will happen? Will it melt off? Flake off?

It will flake and also just get mottled. Nothing to do with how much "heat" it can take. Simply the effect of you cannot paint over porcelain effectively. A few have tried it here and all have failed BUT it looked nice prior to failing :D Donor grills with good lids are easy to find and the best way to get a "red head". Though I can tell you after dating and almost marrying 2 red heads in my life they're more trouble than they're worth :D
Heck earlier this year I got rid of 2 perfect red lids when I met with Bruce. Plus I still have a Blue Head for a first generation Summit 4XX grill in my back yard I don't know what to do with.
Honestly though I give you an A for effort. It looks good. Heck I guess when the paint fails you could just do it again but anyway keep watching around you'll find a "true" red head but mind the act they have bad tempers

Free is always a good find! (That is how I got mine also. ;)
If it starts to flake you can try to remove it, the color of the original hook looked pretty good!

Now you have a grill for many years to come! Congrats!

Nice find and nice job on the restore.

Regarding the hood the general consensus is as Larry stated. That if you paint the porcelain hood it will eventually flake off.

However in another thread there was a member that painted his porcelain hood and was told it wouldn't last. However he posted recently that his is holding up well months (maybe a year? ) later. So maybe yours will hold up? I would just use it and see. If it starts flaking off you could just take the rest off.

The paint on the lid will chip and scratch pretty easily. It looks like the old hood porcelain is oxidized which you can not fix. You could simply find a donor grill with a good hood and swap it over. Those style of hoods are plentiful and can be found for next to nothing if you keep your eyes open on CL and FB marketplace.

Back