Old WSM: notch or grommet for temp probes?

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
I was thinking about notching the top of the upper chamber or drilling a hole and putting in a grommet. Which do you prefer?

notch it, I put two probe wires through mine, even if it had the grommet, which it don't..I wouldn't use it

Last edited:
How about some pix of the notches? Not sure how you guys are doing that.

Too late for me, already drilled the big hole!

All you do is cut a notch with a cut off wheel just far enough that the lid lays flat on the smoker body with the temp probe wires in place. You can finish it off with a file if you want to control how deep you go

Not my pic
arusumyz.jpg

All you do is cut a notch with a cut off wheel just far enough that the lid lays flat on the smoker body with the temp probe wires in place. You can finish it off with a file if you want to control how deep you go

Not my pic
arusumyz.jpg

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but nice to see confirmation.

I have always preferred grommets, until I bought a used 22WSM that was notched by the former owner.

Grommets will wear out, tear, and have to be replaced. Notched is the way to go.

The self destruct aspect of the grommet was one thing I’d never t thought about. Previous owner notched my 18 so, I didn’t have to think about it! I’ll be firing that this weekend, butts are a buck a pound at my neighborhood Hardings market! I love giving them my trade!

Notched the mini, the 18.5WSM and my performer. I think a notch is much easier to use than a grommet.

I've got the grommet and I'm fine with it. I think the notch would be easier to do, and would be way more convenient. If I didn't have the grommet I'd do the notch.

On my 14.5 I used a hack saw, cut down 2 sides then bent the middle piece down flat inside like a tab.
A little filing to smooth out the cut edges and all done.

My son's a welder. He's coming home Saturday and bringing his grinder and 1/4" wheel.
My son decided not to come home today so I bought a $10 grinder and a $1 wheel at Harbor Freight. Notching took about 30 seconds. Job looks VERY professional!:rolleyes:

Back