The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old WSM: notch or grommet for temp probes?

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    I cut a notch in my WSM yearís ago but I rarely use it anymore. I used to use probes and monitor the cook but now I just fire it up, put on the food, and a little while later go probe around to see if itís tender. In fact the picture on the right in Chrisí article on the subject it my cooker http://virtualweberbullet.com/cuttin...eter-slot.html. I donít think I even have batteries in the Mav anymore. Iíve reasoned it really doesnít matter what temp it is, if it isnít probe tender it isnít done. Ribs take about 4 hrs, briskets about 5 and butts all day.

When I first started using my 22 I used the port and hated it. After I got comfortable with the smoker I realized I didn't need the probe. WSM holds incredibly steady temps, and now I check for tenderness by feel or use a stick thermometer. If I ever went back to using anything needing a probe, I'll cut a notch.

TVWBB All-Star
    Haven't used the notch since I did it, but I know it's there if I need it!
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

I've notched my WSM's and Kettle, if I don't use the notch , I plug it with a small piece of wadded up aluminum foil.

But I use the notch, a lot.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Notch is way more convenient, dont require removing probes from meat/grate to remove top grate, easier to adjust if turning top grate too. Quicker, easier, means shorter lid open time.

Doesnt need to be big. 1/8" wide slot , 3/16" below lip surface will pass 2 wires to top grate, and is negligible even without them.
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-12-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123