Weber steaks

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After fiddling around with the TEC infrared grill I picked up - with interesting but still uncertain results - I went back to my faithful Genesis Silver C to do this afternoon’s attempt at NY strip steaks (or KC if you prefer;)). It is still set up with GrillGrates, but I added the twist of putting underneath them one of those stainless v-shaped smoker boxes recommended by Bruce. The combination works great and shows that - regardless of whatever faults they may have - GrillGrates are not a griddle and DO allow bbq flavor and smoke to come through.

2dvsw79.jpg

bjd3kp.jpg

qxlzj5.jpg

Everyone really liked these steaks:eek:. It sure is hard for me to find fault with GrillGrates, especially paired with a real Weber grill and a smoker box!

Last edited:
Title should be "GrillGrate Steaks"

Well, we have hashed out that controversy so many times...I wanted to emphasize what my conventional Weber gas grill could do compared to the high-tech, high-end "infrared".

I do think that GrillGrates on a Weber grill with a smoker box underneath is a highly effective combination. I am not at all saying cast iron or high quality stainless bars can't do as well. Just indicating my own positive and CONSISTENT results and that the smoker box Bruce recommended was a welcome addition to the set-up.

Beautiful steaks Jon. I've had a cast iron smoker box for my genesis 1000 since 1999 when I bought it, works great. I have no opinion on the grill grates as I don't have any and never have had anything grilled with them. Sure seems though people ether love them or hate them.

Ah yes the Bruce effect been subject to that myself.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Damn good looking steaks and yes Amazon due to the "Bruce effect" needs to be comping him. I believe and please correct me if I am wrong I was the first one to name it the "Bruce effect" which he posts an item everyone here jumps on it drives the price up.

Is anyone a lawyer here can I trademark the "Bruce effect" in regards to anything that multiple people buy on Amazon that drives the price up. :cool:

Damn good looking steaks and yes Amazon due to the "Bruce effect" needs to be comping him. I believe and please correct me if I am wrong I was the first one to name it the "Bruce effect" which he posts an item everyone here jumps on it drives the price up.

Is anyone a lawyer here can I trademark the "Bruce effect" in regards to anything that multiple people buy on Amazon that drives the price up. :cool:

Brian,
You get that trademarked and you can get licensing fees:D! As for me, for all the flak I take about GrillGrates maybe I should hit them up for referral fees, too:cool:!

I have not done a steak in a while, my wife only likes the poor things suffering a second death and darned near cremation but, with the gasser, I can maintain thermonuclear temp in the front to sear and leave the back cooler for hers to dry out.
“Bruce effect” that’s good! He can do it too, I have bought things on his recommendations too, no failures with them to tell the truth so, I’m not complaining!
Not sure how much I’d use the smoker box but, I have looked at them in CI so, I kind of lean toward the “Rich effect” right now. Also a fine promoter of many things practical!

Brian,
You get that trademarked and you can get licensing fees:D! As for me, for all the flak I take about GrillGrates maybe I should hit them up for referral fees, too:cool:!

Well the whole thing might be costly and of course I would be more than willing to split the licensing fees with Bruce, only fair since my name is Brian but we do share the first two letters Br not like I was trying to call it the "Jon effect" or the "Rich effect" as Tim brought that up for the smoker box.

On the other hand I think you have a point with GrillGrates but unfortunately there were multiple threads going way back not sure you would have a leg to stand on if you know what I mean. :)

Don't get me wrong here but before I joined this forum I had my 1999 green 1000LX and after I joined I built a mini smoker which I still have and us a lot and I was content and happy with the two. Then I started watching and seeing how folks restored their older Weber's. After a year or so I converted and restored greenie making it a 2000 with right and left hand flip ups.
Then I became a flipper buying and refurbing grills for resale and somehow I ended up with ten grills and smokers in my back yard that I call my own.
I ain't taken the rap on this alone, I had help from a lot of people empowering me along the way. Hence the "Rich Effect":p Just trying to keep the playing field level.;)

So far so good here. I've been tempted to amass a big collection, but my taste is 1000's with wood slats, and they are increasingly rare. I think I got mine right at the sweet spot of low price ($25) and availability. Now they are all but gone from Craigslist. My wife, even though she doesn't know it, is happy.

Edit: 2000's, or even x thousands. Deep boxes with wood slats.

Back