Rusty Grates, advice needed

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
ruVi6aZh.jpg

3200- the grill is avg condition at best. Flip, not a keeper.
Whats the best solution to makes these sellable? Or, should I simply
spend the $60 to replace. (anyone have a cheaper supplier?)

I'm not an expert on these matters, but I have gotten good results removing rust by soaking rusty parts in vinegar.

The porcelain is intact in spots. Thought of taking a grinder to it, but have read others here talking of it being rather difficult. If the rest of the grill was in great condition I would replace for sure as I always do well with nice Q's. This will be average at best after I give it a nice detailing and take a Dremel to the burners. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I guess reseasoning is the way to go.

Dave,
I am not an expert either, but careful removal and seasoning looks like the best option to me.

Yep, all the Q grills I get and rehab that have rusty, nasty grates get the angle grinder and wire cup brush. It takes about 20 minutes but they come out clean and then like Larry said, just season them and drive on.

Awesome job on that, Dave! Whoever gets that one should really enjoy. After such a nice save, are you sure you can let it go?

Great job on cleaning/restoring the grates. With just minimal (and I mean minimal) care, those grates will last a lifetime. A quick cleaning with a brush and them a lloght /quick spray with Pam or other cooking oil and they will look a million bucks!
Great job,
Tim

Back