Chimney or torch?

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I had to downsize awhile back and got rid of my chimney (full size Weber). Now I only have a small WSM and I just got a jumbo joe. I want to be able to start a small amount of charcoal and was thinking of getting the compact Weber chimney. But I was also thinking of a torch. I’ve tried just putting a starter cube in a pile of charcoal, but that doesn’t work very well. What would you do for starting a grill or a small amount of charcoal for a minion start? I would like to keep cost down if only because it irks me to replace something I got rid of 🤦

I just checked my Amazon orders, I got the Weber compact chimney 3 years ago this month and haven't used my large one since.
Hard to beat for $11 and no propane to buy.

I've been wanting one of the compact ones since they came out. It's awkward lighting 12 briquettes in the big one for a minion.

I have the standard and the compact. When starting my WSM I use the compact and 1 cube, exclusively. I light a cube and walk away to perform other related tasks; I have no desire to sit with a torch waiting for coals to light. As to whether or not there are other viable alternatives I cannot answer. Good luck!

I use all the above mentioned methods! Sidewinder Minion, torch. Straight Minion, small chimney. Kettle, full-size chimney.
I guess that’s no real help, sorry.

I use all the above mentioned methods! Sidewinder Minion, torch. Straight Minion, small chimney. Kettle, full-size chimney.
I guess that’s no real help, sorry.

I think that's a GREAT help. Shows anyone (who wants to know) the versatility we enjoy when starting a smoke :D

I have both chimneys also and I used to use cubes which work well I thought. Now I have a dedicated side burner on the JJ & WSM cart just for lighting the chimneys which to me is the best way.
One option that I used before I built the WSM cart was a small butane camping stove I got from Big 5 sporting goods for $15 on sale, that and a small chimney would work well for what you have. Plus you can use the camping stove to heat sauces and such.

I guess I'll have to invest in a small chimney. How many coals do they hold?

By my last recorded count when I first started out it holds 40'ish KBB. My standard holds 115'ish. If tight on space and you also have need for a standard chimney (which like TFL I use when firing-up a Kettle) I have inverted the full-size chimney and placed a dozen or so coals and placed a cube on a small soup can to get it going. Others are more expert at that than I am.

I have both chimneys also and I used to use cubes which work well I thought. Now I have a dedicated side burner on the JJ & WSM cart just for lighting the chimneys which to me is the best way.
One option that I used before I built the WSM cart was a small butane camping stove I got from Big 5 sporting goods for $15 on sale, that and a small chimney would work well for what you have. Plus you can use the camping stove to heat sauces and such.

I looked for pictures of your cart, but they all appear to be gone. Any chance you could repost a pic or two?

I looked for pictures of your cart, but they all appear to be gone. Any chance you could repost a pic or two?

Its built on an old genesis 1000 frame I extended the lower rear frame rails 24" to hold the 18"WSM. I also cut off the upper rear frame rails to provide clearance for the WSM. Then I built a platform where the firebox used to be for the JJ. I mounted a side burner where the shelf used to be. Even without the tank hanging on the front the cart has no tendency to tilt forward, I put 70lbs of bricks in the WSM without the tank on the front and it still was very stable.
! also added a shelf underneath for storage.

28434581667_13d9896f3d_z.jpg
[/url]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I have a full size Weber chimney and a tank-like SS one the same size that a friend made and gave to me. I use those here at the casa.
I have a compact Weber chimney that stays in my travel trailer for use with the dedicated camping SJ.
I also have a propane torch that gets used when I light a snake on the kettle.
Different methods for different situations.

By my last recorded count when I first started out it holds 40'ish KBB. My standard holds 115'ish. If tight on space and you also have need for a standard chimney (which like TFL I use when firing-up a Kettle) I have inverted the full-size chimney and placed a dozen or so coals and placed a cube on a small soup can to get it going. Others are more expert at that than I am.

You can “half load” a regular chimney too, if you need fewer coals for starting, invert as Fletch suggests. For cryin in the rain this is far from rocket science. More heat? More hot coal. Less immediate heat? Fewer coals! Sheesh!
The camp stove idea is good too! I have two of them I keep to warm (double boiler style) vats of butter for corn dipping, sauce warming, and so on. Never used it for chimney ignition! What else have I simply ignored!?
I have only “underfired” a Sidewinder Minion once, I did indeed learn from that, never again will I make that mistake.

Last edited:
You can “half load” a regular chimney too, if you need fewer coals for starting, invert as Fletch suggests. For cryin in the rain this is far from rocket science. More heat? More hot coal. Less immediate heat? Fewer coals! Sheesh!

You would be correct in wishing otherwise, but I wish we were neighbors, lol.

You would be correct in wishing otherwise, but I wish we were neighbors, lol.

No reason to wish otherwise, I’d like to have the occasional non working weekend feast!
Next week, I’m thinking a $1.00/lb. butt and a Chuck roast for later machaca!
What’s on your bill of fare?

Last edited:
I have a torch but I have a electric heater for charcoal that I use on my fire pit and have used it on every thing else over the years lol

Back