wooden handles, just lid or all three?

Stephen Scaggs

TVWBB Member
Hi all,
I have a 2001 OTG that currently has the light grey handles. I love the look of the wooden handles. I was thinking about replacing the lid handle for a while, but I am not sure about replacing all three. Do you think it would be odd to just have wood on the lid? I have thought about getting the new tool handles for the bowl and wood for the lid, but the cost is only a little less. What do you think, all or nothing? Thanks in advance.

Go big or go home! If you want wood, do all of them, make it match all the way around. I just had a guy make me some out of the same cypress as my grilling table on my double barreled overPerformer! They look elegant!
Just lid handle for the original 22.5 and the 18.5” I saw no need for the “odd” handle on the 18” front. It all set in place very nicely using a few corner brackets for elevation.
If you want it to really make you happy just get a full three handle set! Not that expensive and the “cool factor” is pretty high!

Last edited:
I totally agree that all wood is the way to. Not so sure about the “not that expensive” but I suppose it is all relative. There is a guy on the Weber Kettle Club who makes gorgeous wood handles with a variety of options. Here is one of his on the lid of my 26” flat top:

98bp8x.jpg

I was able to salvage two old ones from this flat top to reuse on the side handles and fortunate to have a friend who is an artist. He did an amazing job restoring the logos:

30t17cp.jpg

Three coats of spar urethane really improved the appearance and repels Florida rain:).

Last edited:
Wow. 3 for $30 is a very good deal!

This is the guy who is on the Weber Kettle Club and where I bought two extremely nice handles. I used one on the black 26" flat-top I showed previously:

https://grillhandle.com/

It looks like a set of 3 will set you back $62 + shipping. I can vouch for the high quality of his work, and he offers several styles including the very cool "Weber. The one. The only." version. I was fortunate to be able to refurbish two of my old handles (with the big help of my artist friend). If I had replaced all three on my kettle they would have cost considerably more than the kettle itself.

Last edited:
I initially bought just one for mine, but ended up replacing the other one as well. I've got a OTS that just had the two handles.

After thinking about it some more, I think that I should either go all wood or keep the plastic. I like the newer tool holder handles, but I don't like the newer lid handle. The wood just looks so classy. Thanks for the opinions and pics of the wooden handles.

Jon,
I supplied the 100 year old cypress, it was from the same stock as the grill table. The job took a while but, I’m very happy with the end product.
The 22” is not fully covered in the winter as I tend to still use it throughout all seasons so, I might swap back to the thermoplastic for winter, have not decided yet.

22 bucks at the time for each one. I got the lid one at first just because the plastic handles get super hot. Then I just had to get the one for the bowl. I had to wait a while for another bubinga one to show up on ebay. I guess he's now selling through his own website.

That is actually really good. I thought he charges even more for the exotic woods like that. Yours is definitely beautiful wood!

He’s got some zebra wood ones up on eBay right now, not my cup of tea but, nice.
I’m very happy with the ones he made for me, very happy to have the spare! That might go on the Smokey Joe but, I’ve not decided yet.

I finally made the decision to order up the wooden handles. I got a good deal from Grillgiant on ebay. I went with the three oak handle set. Thanks to all that responded!
pvQId8B.jpg
8cvAeI2.jpg
SK2b0fy.jpg

Last edited:

Back