Improve Heater Meter Reliability?

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
Is there a way to improve the reliability to the Heater Meter? It seems like ever 2-3 times that I use it, it won’t connect to WiFi. Which then means I have to pull the SD card and redo it. It’s getting old having to do this and it’s never at a convient time.

<shrug> Mine connects every time.

Edit: Edimax adapter on the rPi, HM is probably 100' away from the house at the moment, house has steel siding, and the access point is actually below grade. While I'm not worst case, I'm not too far from it.

Last edited:
Is there a way to improve the reliability to the Heater Meter? It seems like ever 2-3 times that I use it, it won’t connect to WiFi. Which then means I have to pull the SD card and redo it. It’s getting old having to do this and it’s never at a convient time.

What version of HM? What RasPi? USB wifi or RasPi wifi?

What version of HM? What RasPi? USB wifi or RasPi wifi?

I believe it’s HM 4.2. PI is a model B and I’m using a Edimax WiFi adapter. WiFi network is ubiquiti. When it works, it’s flawless but it seems from time to time. It gets corrupted and will not work. I’ve tried reinstalling the image twice the second time formatting the sd card. And also the last time also tried hooking up to a wired connection.

On further reflection..... I think the next thing I'd try is a different SD card. Sounds like the filesystem is going sour.

I am the wrong guy to ask, but there has to be a way to copy the config from one card to another.

I also have a UAP-AC-LR as an access point....

I am the wrong guy to ask, but there has to be a way to copy the config from one card to another.

I also have a UAP-AC-LR as an access point....

Well the new SD card didn’t work. Just tried that and still no WiFi. Oh well guess I’ll have to figure something out after the cook

After power-up, my HM takes 1-2 minutes to come up on my WiFi network. It's certainly not instantaneous.

After power-up, my HM takes 1-2 minutes to come up on my WiFi network. It's certainly not instantaneous.

Well I was waiting for the ip to show up and it hadn’t. I then tried HeaterMeter.com/devices and nothing. Went to the unify app and saw it listed but it had been up for a few minutes already. Oh well still need to figure out a back up solution because pulling it out of the 3d printed case is getting old.

The pocket on my on my gravity fed smoker gets pretty hot, but I have to run the cook chamber up to 300+ F before I start seeing heat related issues on mine.

Back