Brisket Cooking Time

T Augustin

Hey everyone!

Doing my first brisket tomorrow, I went to Costco and bought a USDA Prime 11.5# whole brisket. Unfortunately this was the smallest they had, however my question becomes, how long should I leave myself to cook it? I’ve seen 1.25 hrs to 1.5 hours per pound at 225-250, but that puts me at 13-14 hours, + resting in cooler for an hour or 2... that seems like too much time. With that said I’m in no way in a rush, but the last thing I want is to prep for a 16 hour cook and only have it take 8 and then my guests don’t arrive for another few hours while the brisket gets cold. I have a 2-3 hour window that I can aim for it to be done, just trying to get a rough start time so I’m close enough.

Any thoughts?

I think you may be looking at a 13 to 14 hour cook depending on how much you trim. 11.5 lbs is about as small as you can normally find for a whole brisket. It also depends on what temp you are cooking at, whether you wrap. The stall is always the big variable.

Am going to try and keep it in the 225-240 range, I will be foiling at the stall, and then when it hits 200 I’m going to pull it off and leave it in the cooler for 2 hours (foiled with a towel)

I’d just figure on 12 and not worry too much, it’s probably going to be all of that if not more, but, as others have said, it can rest in a cooler wrapped for a couple of hours with no ill effects. That also allows you time to get some other things done before feasting, like shutting down the smoker, and making sure the other cooler is full of frosty beverages!
One suggestion, don’t tie yourself into a temperature as much as the feel of the meat when you some a skewer in, it should have virtually NO resistance then let it rest until the temperature starts to fall below about 175 then, foil and towel to put in the cooler. If you just pull it and immediately wrap, it can continue to cook with its own stored heat and get mushy.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

The cook is off and running, struggling with temp control right now as it’s pretty windy where I live, I’ve tried to block wind a few different ways, but I’m not having much luck, my Weber Smokey Mountain is at 266 with all vents (top and bottom closed). I do have a new WSM so I think maybe I don’t have a tight seal somewhere. The brisket appears to be going quicker than thought, I’m 2.5 hours in and my IT is already 167. I am going to scrap foiling and do my best to drop the temp as best as possible in the smoker. I’ve considered moving the probe, but I’m terrified if I open the smoker it will spike the temp even more so I’m just going to leave it.

I’m now concerned the other way that this thing is going to be done way too early. I did trim it before putting it in, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. I was angling for a grate temp of 225, but I’m just not sure that’s in the cards today.

Don’t worry too much, it will all be just fine, the last 30 degrees sometimes feel like they take forever!
Crack a beer, put your feet up. Your patience will be rewarded!

Should be plenty good! I’m much more calm now, just hit 195 and I probed and it’s not quite tender which is perfect because my goal is to get it off by 3:30 or 4 and into a cooler for 2-3 hours before serving, looks like I’m going to be right on time. Roughly 6.5 hours on the WSM for my prime brisket, was 11.5# out of the package but I trimmed it pretty good, I didn’t check the weight before putting it on.

i've had a 14lb brisket (cooked at 250ºF) go as long as 17 hours
then, a 12lb brisket (cooked about the same, about 250 - 265ºF) go for only 9 hours.
I wrap in butcher paper at 165ºF and remove at 200ºF. Both from Costco, both prime.

there is no legitimate time frame to go by.... in my opinion.

I use the hot and fast method. Did a 14.5 lb packer a couple of weeks ago in 7 hours. Came out great. Lots of instructions and comments on the Internet.

Back