Hello from The Hawkeye State!

M Craw

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys, Craw here from the great state of Iowa. Go Hawks! :cool:

Long time (on and off) lurker, but I thought I would finally register and introduce myself. This is a incredible resource for us outdoor cooking enthusiasts, and I hope I can share a little bit of my knowledge/advice with all of you. Cheers!

My main reason for registering is to ask some Vortex wing recipe questions. My bro-in-law just used it for the first time last weekend on some wings and a beer-can-chicken (we set it up wrong - rookie mistake, but it came out great), and the wings were also great, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a simple salt brine on the wings before cooking them w/ the Vortex. To make them more crispy - like a fried wing.

I've used this recipe before (love it!) with the oven and gaser, but I didn't know if I would be out kicking my coverage here w/ a brine coupled w/ the Vortex. Link: https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/grilled-buffalo-chicken-wings/

Pics, because we all like pics, from last weekend's cook:

BCC:
IMG_6036.jpg

Wings:
IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

And some WSM Ribs:
IMG_6040.jpg

The holy trinity:
IMG_6044.jpg

Welcome Craw! You will like it here. Where are you in Iowa? We have family from Des Moines and Dubuque. Ribs, wings and chicken look real good. All cooked on kettles?

Thanks, guys.

Welcome Craw! You will like it here. Where are you in Iowa? We have family from Des Moines and Dubuque. Ribs, wings and chicken look real good. All cooked on kettles?

DSM/Altoona area.

No, the ribs were smoked on my WSM. :wsm22:

Back