can auto paint compound help this lid?

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
I just brought home this 2003 Silver A and I want to clean it up and give it to my son. I’ve been reading the various posts on grill rehab and I think someone said you could compound the lid and shine it up?
Im hoping not to have to paint it but I just wanted to check on this forum before I go ahead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XEh3PnctoHiiTngx5

Last edited:
Simple Green and 0000 Steel Wool, it cannot be painted its coated with Porcelain Enamel. Some of the black lids had a fade to them and unfortunately it can't be removed hopefully once you clean yours up that is not the case.

Frank,

Unfortunately, it looks like you have the classic porcelain white spot fade. It is internal somehow with the porcelain and not like auto paint where you can buff out the oxidation. You can make it look SLIGHTLY better by cleaning well and waxing, but it will still be there. It is a problem especially prevalent in Weber black hoods, although black kettles can fade completely to gray.

Believe it or not, the one treatment that will last a little while - or at least until you use it at high heat again:mad: - is to lightly buff it with some Pam. The same thing happens when you wax it, as somehow the shine temporarily overcomes what has happened to the porcelain. Once the wax dries, or the Pam burns off, it will still be back.

I would NOT at all advise painting your hood. No matter how well you apply the paint it will not look right and will be vulnerable to scratching off. A porcelain finish, even with fade, is a whole lot better for cleaning and overall appearance. I have a black Skyline hood that looks exactly the same as yours. I have decided it is just something I have to live with. A plain black hood is a lot easier to find, so maybe at some point you can find a replacement that hasn't faded.

I agree, look for a donor grill and canibalize the hood. It doesn't even have to be black unless you prefer that. There are around a half dozen colored lids for the older silver and 1000 style grills. Just follow facebook marketplace and/or Craigslist and one will pop up real cheap or even free.

Frank. I see you are in the Boston area. There are a couple of members in your area that do restores. Perhaps they can help. Also, on Craigslist there is a guy named Bob in Billerica who has a large parts collection. If you decide to change out the hood, they may be able to help you.

Thank you everyone for all the help. I will clean the lid up as best I can and maybe look for a replacement. Thanks to everyone who replied. Very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Frank. I see you are in the Boston area. There are a couple of members in your area that do restores. Perhaps they can help. Also, on Craigslist there is a guy named Bob in Billerica who has a large parts collection. If you decide to change out the hood, they may be able to help you.
Will look into that thanks a ton

I also realize I have been incorrectly referring to both of these grills as spirits. The green one is a 500LX and the black one is a silver. (Don't know it it's A or B) I have much to learn Obi-wan

It looks well cleaned out and ready to roll. Get the flavorizer bars and cooking grates in there and you are ready for a couple 1 lb Ribeyes.

Back