Silver Summit A cover - suggestions?

J Sheriff

TVWBB Member
I have a 14 year old Silver Summit A that needs a new cover. The correct cover is 9298 and Weber has quit making it. I called customer service yesterday and to my surprise they we no help at all. I expected that they would tell me that it was discontinued but I could buy a quality replacement at someplace they could point me to OR they would have information about another cover they still make that would work.

Anyhow, does anybody know where I can get a good grill cover? None of the pre-made ones that I found at online cover places are the correct size. The 9892 was 60 x 25 x 36 and an inch or two longer would actually be a good thing. A lot of the custom places will make a "bag to cover the grill but they didn't seem to understand that the "bag" needs to have ventilation or the trapped moisture will rust out the grill. I live in the humid southeast and without a cover my grill wont last long.

The Silver A is the same size as a new Weber 400 series Summit. You should have no issue using that. It's what my brother bought for his Silver B

The Silver A is the same size as a new Weber 400 series Summit. You should have no issue using that. It's what my brother bought for his Silver B

Actually its not the same size. The box on the silver A is about 29.5 inches long. The new weber 400 series boxes (biggest ones) are about 36.5 inches long (I measured them all at HD). So, the 7131 cover for the weber 400 series will fit over it but it won't fit right - its way too big.

It will have sags and places for water to collect and also the 7131 used on my grill will drag on the ground by a couple of inches on both ends. It rains a lot in Atlanta and its hot and humid here about 9 months out of the year so a cover sagging to the ground wont let air circulate - that's why the original was so short.

Thanks for the response but I've already done a lot of measuring and comparing and while what you suggest will work for me it won't work well. Others might be OK with the saggy fit. I don't want to to pay $80.00 for something that doesn't fit right.

I guess my brother is not that picky :D but IMO on his Silver B (same grill just has a side burner) it fits just fine.

That probably will be a very tough find. Might see one pop up on eBay, but none that I saw right now. Best alternative might be to measure and price out after market solutions by size. There are actually some good covers out there besides Weber and since the Summit Silver is not an "off-centered" grill (like the Genesis with an extended cart on one side) there should be something pretty close that will fit without a lot of drooping.

That probably will be a very tough find. Might see one pop up on eBay, but none that I saw right now. Best alternative might be to measure and price out after market solutions by size. There are actually some good covers out there besides Weber and since the Summit Silver is not an "off-centered" grill (like the Genesis with an extended cart on one side) there should be something pretty close that will fit without a lot of drooping.

Thanks. My initial question was who makes a good after market grill cover? I don't mind paying the price but I would like it to be good quality, be properly vented and fit right. It would be a bonus if it was black or brown.

My first weber cover lasted 10 years and the only reason I replace it was that it faded badly and had some cracks around the bottom. The replacement shrunk to the point of not fitting in about two years - then it ripped at the seam putting it on one night. Its covered in duct tape now and on borrowed time.

Yep I have a kong for my genesis 2000 and it's held up very well in the first two years in the high UV Arizona sun.
Go to amazon and put in kong covers and you will see just about all of them and each listing has the measurements H W D

Last edited:
Check out Kong on amazon. They get good reviews.

Yes, the Kong covers look good. I found those last night. But they are the same dimensions as the Webers - too big for my old grill. I guess I should have specified that a quality CUSTOM AFTERMARKET cover is what I am looking for. There are plenty of them out there but was hoping to get an endorsement for one of them from the group.

Yes, the Kong covers look good. I found those last night. But they are the same dimensions as the Webers - too big for my old grill. I guess I should have specified that a quality CUSTOM AFTERMARKET cover is what I am looking for. There are plenty of them out there but was hoping to get an endorsement for one of them from the group.

Unfortunately, you have a grill that wasn't sold in droves and is now kind of old. So, to find a cover SPECIFIC or CUSTOM FITTED to that grill is going to be a very big challenge. I would again say that since it is a symmetrical grill, if you find an aftermarket cover that is for that approximate dimension you should be pretty close. But, if - as it sounds - you have to have an exact fit than I guess you will just have to keep scanning eBay. One might hopefully pop up.

I could also endorse KingKong and would think that one of their covers would sure be close. Based on the dimensions that I can find for the 4-burner older Summit, I think this one (or the Weber equivalent) would fit pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01GFVKKFM/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I agree with Jon probably as close as you are going to get. Its 44 the other 36 get a neighbor or your wife to hem it like a dress custom fit the height. If nobody has a sewing machine my local dry cleaner takes up pants sure they could do this easily if you told them how many inches to shorten it.

I agree with Jon probably as close as you are going to get. Its 44 the other 36 get a neighbor or your wife to hem it like a dress custom fit the height. If nobody has a sewing machine my local dry cleaner takes up pants sure they could do this easily if you told them how many inches to shorten it.

Cool idea, Brian!

Unfortunately, you have a grill that wasn't sold in droves and is now kind of old. So, to find a cover SPECIFIC or CUSTOM FITTED to that grill is going to be a very big challenge. I would again say that since it is a symmetrical grill, if you find an aftermarket cover that is for that approximate dimension you should be pretty close. But, if - as it sounds - you have to have an exact fit than I guess you will just have to keep scanning eBay. One might hopefully pop up.

I could also endorse KingKong and would think that one of their covers would sure be close. Based on the dimensions that I can find for the 4-burner older Summit, I think this one (or the Weber equivalent) would fit pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01GFVKKFM/tvwb-20

You are right those are almost the exact original dimensions. Thanks. The 44 inches isn't a big deal since its still off the ground by a few inches. I may have checked it last night though - don't remember. The silver summit A has a shorter box than the current line of grills.

I also thought of having the cover altered. I didn't want to pay the extra money to do that although as you say its possible.

Last edited:
You are right those are almost the exact original dimensions. Thanks. The 44 inches isn't a big deal since its still off the ground by a few inches. I may have checked it last night though - don't remember. The silver summit A has a shorter box than the current line of grills.

I also thought of having the cover altered. I didn't want to pay the extra money to do that although as you say its possible.

Here is the Weber Cover I have for my 1000 its only a few more bucks than the Kong however the Kong gives you some tongs, a grill brush and a therm which is probably useless. If you want the Weber than I bought from this seller very satisfied I like the new material very breathable and I live in ATL also and yes you need to cover it or wake up in the morning and see puddles all over your grill. This cover is the same size as the Kong by the way so it needs to be taken up.

The storage bag which buy the way I cut mine off store some stuff in it leave it on my bottom wire shelf. Obviously if you have it altered you will need to cut it off also but that,s no loss IMO. It is going to fade be aware of that down here no way around it Rich has the Kong maybe holds up better with the color but only he can answer that, mine is in direct sun till about 2 in the afternoon till it moves to the front of the house.

www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-7107-Grill-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
I got a King Kong for my silver B and the tongs are actually pretty darned good, gave the thermometer to my BIL, I already had three. I’m probably going to order another for the maroon Genny I just spruced up if I can’t shoehorn it into the garage for winter.
Wife’s son has my silver B on extended loan and I hope they use the cover! Last time I was over there it was wadded up on the swing!

Tim, I had bought a performer cover non Weber and it had the tongs I agree they work great use them all the time so that is for sure worth a few bucks. If you need a new grill brush that's a plus also not sure about the quality but who knows they may be buying them from the same place Weber does. The Weber cover for the performer was just to pricey for me I wanted it but the performer is at my pool level covered by a roof which is my kitchen kick out so its not getting rained on anyway I just like my stuff covered.

I ended up buying the weber 7131 grill cover. Its about 7 inches too long and is a bit of a sloppy fit but it looks OK. If you need a cover for the summit silver A this is your best bet from weber. The unexpected benefit of being too long is that it is really easy to remove and put back on.

Yah, I hate it when I am putting a cover on a grill and it harder than squeezing myself into last year's pair of jeans. ;)

I ended up buying the weber 7131 grill cover. Its about 7 inches too long and is a bit of a sloppy fit but it looks OK. If you need a cover for the summit silver A this is your best bet from weber. The unexpected benefit of being too long is that it is really easy to remove and put back on.

Forgot to mention that I found the weber cover on amazon for around $50. That beats the big box store price by almost $30.

Back