Found my unfindable...a Weber Junior/Jr.

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
Happy Days!

I have been looking for one of these grills for over two years and I have been scouring the country to get a nice one. Several have popped up (none close by), but they were less than stellar examples of the breed.They only made these for 3-4 years or so I understand.

I know several have said "get yourself a Silver A, they are a much better 2 burner grill".

But they don't have that charisma...wood shelves, classic double layer Flavorizer bars...that,I wanna be a Genesis when I get big mentality.

They, about a year and a half ago, I caught this post on reddit-

ocRFgSq.png

Appears to be a super clean Weber Jr. in a color I had never seen before on a Junior- Brown. I had seen Red, Black, and even Grey but never Brown.I emailed the owner, inquiring about the grill and asking if he wanted to sell. He stated it was not for sale and he was keeping it. Don't blame him as they are tough to attain. Six months pass and I ask him "still enjoying your Junior?"
He replied "I am! just haven't had much time to use it lately. Hate to see it sit there!"
Then, two months ago, he writes me and says he might be interested to sell and wants to know my location.

One problem, he is in Michigan and I am in Massachusetts. That's a long drive, even by my standards.:eek:

Then I remembered from my Automotive Forums that a bunch of guys have shipped via Fastenal, the nut and bolt guys for a reasonable fee. The item would had to be skidded and would ship from Fastenal to Fastenal locations across the Country.

After talking to the seller and agreeing on a price to my surprise he was more than willing to disassemble the grill and drive it over to a Fastenal store for me.
Sweet!

I contacted Fastenal with the dimensions and they asked what is was to which I replied a older Weber grill. They shot back No, they could not ship the item. I asked "why not?" to which they replied it was too top heavy.
I explained to them it would be disassembled and ratchet strapped to a skid.
They checked with their area Manager and he finally gave them the green light to ship.

Wohoo!

Here is it leaving the Fastenal in Michigan-

dC7nXru.jpg

KRwqqrj.jpg

...to be continued.

Jeff

Last edited:
I like them too. They are kind of cute. There was one for sale in our area a few weeks ago. Actually for a few weeks before the ad was taken down. My concerns are are the burners. If they go bad what do you do? The Silver A or Genesis 700 ones won't fit. Are there any other options?
The color is cool. I could sell these here to some "Longhorn" fans. lol

Jeff,

What a cool find! I know what people say, too, but I agree with you that it still a special grill.

I sure wish I could find someone who would do the same for me on an original Genesis I.

Jon

There’s a redhead of that size about an hour from me, refurbished. But, he wants a bucket for it, I’m thinking it’s like $200-250 but, dang. The novelty factor isn’t that high for me.

I like them too. They are kind of cute. There was one for sale in our area a few weeks ago. Actually for a few weeks before the ad was taken down. My concerns are are the burners. If they go bad what do you do? The Silver A or Genesis 700 ones won't fit. Are there any other options?
The color is cool. I could sell these here to some "Longhorn" fans. lol

Stefan,
Luckily my Jr. Burners are in excellent shape but yes, the Junior has an unusual burner length. They share the same crossover tube length as the 3609/7506 tubes used in the 1000-5000 series but the tubes themselves are shorter in length.
Stay tuned- I just might have a solution for this.

Jeff

How much does Fastenal charge for that shipment?

Fastenal charged $125.00 from Michigan to Mass.
I don't know if this is a flat fee or not but it was the exact same price I was quoted shipping a John Deere lawnmower two years ago. For that I made the trek to New Jersey myself.

Jeff

Jeff,

What a cool find! I know what people say, too, but I agree with you that it still a special grill.

I sure wish I could find someone who would do the same for me on an original Genesis I.

Jon

That is pretty cool, Jeff, congrats on getting your unfindable!

If it trips your trigger than it's a wonderful find

Thanks guys.
Jon,
Keep looking. That special Genesis 1 is out there somewhere.

Jeff

Regarding the burners i think I remember another post where someone cut down the burners from a larger grill and got them to fit the junior? I would think that might be possible.

Here is it loaded in the back of my SUV-

OBttTD0.jpg

and getting a good look at it on my "workbench" err...Picnic Table

Swv8ref.jpg

oD1bT3R.jpg

A quick look at one of the Burner Tubes compared to a new 7506 Burner Tube.

7rTduzy.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Congrats, Jeff.

I have seen pictures of people using a halved work table (so 3 slats instead of 6) on the left side on a Junior to have an additional work surface.

Regarding the burners i think I remember another post where someone cut down the burners from a larger grill and got them to fit the junior? I would think that might be possible.

I think the problem would be you would want to cut them down near where they insert into the holding screws leave the side where the they go into the valves alone.

Jeff are the burners good not a concern, if they aren't you are good. I know you have friends that weld what about if they are not you cut them down where they insert give yourself some room cut out the necessary length so they match the originals then have someone weld the joint. I think Stainless is kind of a pain to weld but no clue if they are or they are not.

Congrats, Jeff.

I have seen pictures of people using a halved work table (so 3 slats instead of 6) on the left side on a Junior to have an additional work surface.

Thanks JKim,
I seen that pic over at the WKC but I kinda like the small stub handles. One of the many quirks of a Junior.

I think the problem would be you would want to cut them down near where they insert into the holding screws leave the side where the they go into the valves alone.

Jeff are the burners good not a concern, if they aren't you are good. I know you have friends that weld what about if they are not you cut them down where they insert give yourself some room cut out the necessary length so they match the originals then have someone weld the joint. I think Stainless is kind of a pain to weld but no clue if they are or they are not.

I have been on the lookout for a G Jr. for over 2 years. Have yet to find one with in about 400 miles.

Dave,
My tubes are in great condition but I am working on getting a set of tubes made from a guy who knows Stainless Steel very well so I should be good for the future.

Jeff

I have been on the lookout for a G Jr. for over 2 years. Have yet to find one with in about 400 miles.

Dave,
I feel your pain.
I consider myself quite the capable shopper of all things Weber... I have found numerous older Vintage items, most brand new in the box and most recently a Weber 27000 Flame(!). But finding a clean Junior has eluded me these past couple years. I almost gave up and thought it wasn't meant to be but I was adament and didn't give up.

You shouldn't either. Keep looking, you'll get one.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks JKim,
I seen that pic over at the WKC but I kinda like the small stub handles. One of the many quirks of a Junior.

Jeff

Jeff,

I think I see it the same way you do, even though that mod is a very attractive-looking idea. I think trying to keep it original is important for an historical curiosity like that Jr.

We are all looking forward to viewing the completed showing! Congrats again on getting this one and for coming up with a creative way of getting it there.

jon

I never knew theses were a thing. I can’t wait to see it completed and will have to start looking for me one.
You guys keep showing up with cool stuff that I then “need” like this and the flame. Stop before I have no money left. Haha

I never knew theses were a thing. I can’t wait to see it completed and will have to start looking for me one.
You guys keep showing up with cool stuff that I then “need” like this and the flame. Stop before I have no money left. Haha

It's called Weberitous. Very contagious and hard on your wallet. Even harder to explain to spouses:rolleyes:!

Back