Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Got me some new Vintage Catch Pan's

  1. #1
    TVWBB Pro Jeff MA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fitchburg MA
    Posts
    634

    Got me some new Vintage Catch Pan's

    I'm always on the lookout for Vintage Weber items and when they come up I snatch 'em up. I am not a fan of the newer Weber 7515 Catch Pan as I like the long since discontinued Weber 3640 Catch Pan which is made out of Porcelain coated Steel while the 7515 which is bare Aluminum.

    Most vendors don't do us any favors as they typically uses a picture of the of the older, black 3640 Pan while selling the bare aluminum 7515 Pan.

    A #3640 recently showed up and I grabbed it for backup as I know Weber will never make these again.

    I also came across a #7515 pan which the seller insured me was black Porcelain so I grabbed that one too.



    I guess sometime during the changeover to aluminum Weber was using up their older steel Porcelain Pan's. The date on the #3640 box is 2003 and on the #7515 box it's 2008.

    I gave them a weigh in and the #7515 model was 561 grams vs 578 grams of the #3640 model. Yes, I did take off the cardboard wrap

    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff MA; 09-12-2018 at 08:38 AM.

  2. #2
    TVWBB Wizard Jon Tofte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hobe Sound, Florida
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff MA View Post
    I'm always on the lookout for Vintage Weber items and when they come up I snatch 'em up. I am not a fan of the newer Weber 7515 Catch Pan as I like the long since discontinued Weber 3640 Catch Pan which is made out of Porcelain coated Steel while the 7515 which is bare Aluminum.

    Most vendors don't do us any favors as they typically uses a picture of the of the older, black 3640 Pan while selling the bare aluminum 7515 Pan.

    A #3640 recently showed up and I grabbed it for backup as I know Weber will never make these again.

    I also came across a #7515 pan which the seller insured me was black Porcelain so I grabbed that one too.



    I guess sometime during the changeover to aluminum Weber was using up their older steel Porcelain Pan's. The date on the #3640 box is 2003 and on the #7515 box it's 2008.

    I gave them a weigh in and the #7515 model was 561 grams vs 578 grams of the #3640 model. Yes, I did take off the cardboard wrap

    Jeff
    Jeff,

    Those are the ones I really like. Great find! I was excited that I was able to get even one. I held on to it until I put it in my ever in progress Skyline grill!

    Jon
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

  3. #3
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Plano TX
    Posts
    461
    Nice. Although I am not that picky. My issue is that most frames are horribly rusted. So any pan will do for me as long as the frame is good.
    Genesis Gold C, Performer, 22" Kettle, 18" WSM and always several old gassers under restoration.

  4. #4
    TVWBB Fan Ryan RS in Mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    168
    My Silver A came with one of the aluminum ones that had little tiny holes through it everywhere. I was surprised by that.
    Redhead 1000 - "Keeper" | $10 Greenhead 1000LX | Silver A Freebie - For Sale Soon | Silver B @ the Summer Place "Cape Grill"

  5. #5
    TVWBB Pro Jeff MA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fitchburg MA
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan RS in Mass View Post
    My Silver A came with one of the aluminum ones that had little tiny holes through it everywhere. I was surprised by that.
    It is amazing what animal fats can do to an aluminum pan. If I don't replace the thin Weber aluminum drip pan liners every month or so the fats eat right through 'em.

    Jeff

  6. #6
    TVWBB Fan Ryan RS in Mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    168
    Very interesting, Jeff. I have never noticed that phenom before, but I am in the habit of regularly cleaning the drip pan on all grills I've used.
    Redhead 1000 - "Keeper" | $10 Greenhead 1000LX | Silver A Freebie - For Sale Soon | Silver B @ the Summer Place "Cape Grill"

  7. #7
    TVWBB Diamond Member LMichaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    3,964
    I think it's the salts and marinades not the fats

  8. #8
    TVWBB Diamond Member Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,920
    Yah, whatever it is, it does eat those bare aluminum pans up.
    Interestingly, I chose a "used" black enameled one for my current Skyline rebuild like Jon. I get very few of them with my grills. Most are the bare aluminum by far. I totally out of usable pan holders though. I may have to buy a new one online for my skyline. The pan holders rust out really bad and fast around here and several of my grills have come without them altogether or laying in the bottom shelf because they won't even hang any more. I wish I knew a good "cheap" source for those.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

  9. #9
    TVWBB Fan Ryan RS in Mass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yah, whatever it is, it does eat those bare aluminum pans up.
    Interestingly, I chose a "used" black enameled one for my current Skyline rebuild like Jon. I get very few of them with my grills. Most are the bare aluminum by far. I totally out of usable pan holders though. I may have to buy a new one online for my skyline. The pan holders rust out really bad and fast around here and several of my grills have come without them altogether or laying in the bottom shelf because they won't even hang any more. I wish I knew a good "cheap" source for those.
    I replaced both of the holders - the one on my Silver A and the one on my Silver B. The one on the Silver A was rotted out beyond repair and the one on the Silver B was so close to breaking that I just decided it was worth getting a new one.
    Redhead 1000 - "Keeper" | $10 Greenhead 1000LX | Silver A Freebie - For Sale Soon | Silver B @ the Summer Place "Cape Grill"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •