TAKEN: 1996 Weber Performer Redhead Stainless Steel

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
About two years ago, I'm smelling the sweet, sweet smell of grilled meat wafting through the air...and it's not coming from my backyard! I track it down to the next building over, to one of my neighbors. He's grilling steaks on a red Weber Performer with stainless steel top. It's the first time we've met, I chat him up for a while, tell him about my Weber hobby, and he says he's thinking about getting a new Performer. As I leave I say, "Don't ever throw that grill away, I'll take it off your hands and find it a good home."

Since then, I've run into him several times at the mailbox, and each time he tells me he's still using the grill but he'll let me know if he wants to get rid of it.

Today I see him at the mailbox and he says, "Hey, about that grill...I bought a new one at the Orchard Supply Hardware close-out sale. If you want the old one, you can come by and get it any time." Needless to say, I rolled it home right then and there.

Now, if I had the room to be a Weber grill collector, I would not be posting this message in the Buy/Sell forum...instead I would be gloating over my good luck and latest find! But I can't give this grill a home and I'm hoping someone out there is looking to adopt it for free.

As Mike Wolfe on "American Pickers" would say, this grill is "sweaty" in a good way. It needs a good cleaning...it's full of ashes, the cooking grate is dirty, the stainless steel and the porcelain surfaces need the standard treatment. The wheels are in good shape, it's got the storage bin, it's got the little 5 gal propane tank, the handles are not broken. The lid looks to be in good shape, the lid bale is intact, there's a tiny dent in the stainless top near the edge. The One-Touch system needs to be replaced, one of the sweepers has broken off, and it could use a new charcoal grate. I assume the igniter doesn't work. The bad news is there's significant rust on the left end of both crosspieces at the bottom of the frame. Otherwise rust isn't too bad elsewhere.

I think someone could do a lot with this grill if properly motivated. I just want to find it a good home. All you've got to do is pick it up at my house.

Send me a PM if interested. If you want to share this on other forums or Facebook groups you frequent, feel free to do so.

Here are a few photos.

HdGzZP3.jpg

QDWaXv6.jpg

mEdGvgE.jpg

95OeocB.jpg

yNK3I5Z.jpg

R6oEk6R.jpg

KNEkALB.jpg

l8vqfYj.jpg

That happens to me all the time. A neighbor walks up and says, "I just got a new (WSM, Performer, 26 incher, you fill in the blank). Do you want my old one?" Yep, happens all the time. Kind of like before I was married when beautiful women begged me to go home with them. Just like that.

That happens to me all the time. A neighbor walks up and says, "I just got a new (WSM, Performer, 26 incher, you fill in the blank). Do you want my old one?" Yep, happens all the time. Kind of like before I was married when beautiful women begged me to go home with them. Just like that.

No, the lesson is you have to cultivate the relationship. You have to sniff-out the grills around you, introduce yourself, do some recon on what they've got, and then tell them to contact you if they ever want to get rid of it. No one's ever just walked up to me and told me to take their grill. :D

Gosh, Chris, it was a joke! I understand completely about cultivating relationships - it's a way of life. Glad you're that kind of person.

Back