Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie to Webers - old Gold-c questions

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    First welcome to the forum, lots of very knowledgeable and friendly folks on here to give any advice you may need.
    I was a junk grill collector for years thinking that everyone replaced their gas grills every two years or so due to rust or no available parts to fix it. So why spend the money on a Weber, well a friend of mine bought a new genesis 1000 in 1997 and I was impressed with the cooking abilities of it and especially the solid construction. So I broke down and bought a green genesis 1000LX in 1999.
    Guess what I still have it and it cooks just like it did when it was new. I converted it to a 2000 last year and it will stay with me as long as I'm sucking air. I also have a 1998 skyline 1000 and a 2009 genesis 320 side winder (E/W burners) that's NG and gets used a lot and being almost 10 years old it still has all it's original parts..
    Plus 7 other Weber kettles and smokers.
    The early genesis grills are really hard to beat for reliability and parts availability. Try finding parts for any other 20 year old grill.
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 09-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Wow... thanks guys. That was extensive. I misspoke about it being a C. The conversion was from a genesis gold-b to natural gas with a silver-b donating the manifold so I think I would have been ok.

The other that Iím looking at is a platinum 1000-5500 series green lid c (?) model with a side burner but thatís already a natural gas model. I think Iím going to go that route and maybe get some stainless flavourizer bars for it. Pretty sure the drip tray is falling apart, but Iím pretty handy and I donít think itíll take too much to pull that apart. Maybe some stainless screws are in order.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JPeters View Post
    Wow... thanks guys. That was extensive. I misspoke about it being a C. The conversion was from a genesis gold-b to natural gas with a silver-b donating the manifold so I think I would have been ok.
    yes this would have worked. This is an easy swap

The other that I’m looking at is a platinum 1000-5500 series green lid c (?) model with a side burner but that’s already a natural gas model. I think I’m going to go that route and maybe get some stainless flavourizer bars for it. Pretty sure the drip tray is falling apart, but I’m pretty handy and I don’t think it’ll take too much to pull that apart. Maybe some stainless screws are in order.
    Yes you can still get a set of SS flavorizer bars. No sure if from Weber but for sure aftermarket. From what learned the numbering scheme goes something like that:
    1000 = regular grill, no side burner, flip up table on left side
    2000 = wider grill with an extra top shelf were the side burner would sit
    3000 = wider grill with side burner
    4000 = 3000 plus a flip up table on the right hand side. Rare find.
    5000 = 4000 plus enclosed cabinet with glass doors. I have never ever seen one in person.
    Genesis Gold C, Performer, 22" Kettle, 18" WSM and always several old gassers under restoration.

TVWBB Pro
    The other that I’m looking at is a platinum 1000-5500 series green lid c (?) model with a side burner but that’s already a natural gas model. I think I’m going to go that route and maybe get some stainless flavourizer bars for it. Pretty sure the drip tray is falling apart, but I’m pretty handy and I don’t think it’ll take too much to pull that apart. Maybe some stainless screws are in order.[/QUOTE]

Welcome by Stefan's table its a 3000 my vote is to get that one especially if you want nat gas plus its green. You said its a Platinum does the lid have the graphics like this? If so I think that would be pretty sharp with the green.
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/a...643976516.html

Well, this would be a 4000 then. I donít know... rare? Iíve seen a few used ones lately. I think Iíll pick it up. Too bad itís not a red head.

TVWBB Member
    I guess itís not an absolute problem. Only that if it starts acting up it would be. Our junky Chinese grill has had the same AA battery in itís igniter since new and is still going strong. 10 years and winters too. Itís a bit weird.

Doesnít seem like anyone makes retrofit electronic igniters for the old Webers, is that a fair assessment?
    Obviously the battery was not made in China! Lol.

TVWBB Pro
    Well, this would be a 4000 then. I don’t know... rare? I’ve seen a few used ones lately. I think I’ll pick it up. Too bad it’s not a red head.
    Sorry thought you said it had a burner on the right side my bad. I am partial to the redheads also have 2 of them but I like the green also.

Thereís actually a 5000 for sale in Calgary right now. Not in great shape, but the unicorn exists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12