Newbie to Webers - old Gold-c questions

JPeters

I’ve an opportunity to purchase what looks to be a genesis gold-c that’s been well cared for. I’m picking up a silver-b as well to swap out the propane setup for NG.

I get it that this is a Weber enthusiast forum, but are they really that good? A friend of mine has had a few and claims they’re still the best bbq he’s ever used. I’m ditching a rotted out Centro grill for this Weber. I can see the piezo igniter being a pain for the wife, but aside from that, they’re really that rock solid?

Overall yes. The old ones really are rock solid. Not to say they don't require care. If not cared for (keep the grease tray clean and flavor bars scraped down along with brushing the burners occasionally) they can be your worst nightmare when you have the grease tray catch fire. They can burn so hot they burn/melt right through the aluminum fire box. But with some common sense and decent care they're almost lifetime cookers. Though I cannot say this about the Summit line. It suffers from some poor engineering and support. The Genesis line is better. The older ones (previous to front control knobs) are the best.

Yah, you wont get many on here to argue with your friend.

And yes, they are solid, simple well built grills and parts are readily available.

Why would the piezo igniter be a pain for the wife???

I guess it’s not an absolute problem. Only that if it starts acting up it would be. Our junky Chinese grill has had the same AA battery in it’s igniter since new and is still going strong. 10 years and winters too. It’s a bit weird.

Doesn’t seem like anyone makes retrofit electronic igniters for the old Webers, is that a fair assessment?

There’s also an older (4000?) ‘platinum’ with the green lid and wooden bar shelves that’s around the same price. Any real difference aside from the thermoset shelves and stainless lid of the genesis-gold?

The older X000 grills have deeper fire boxes and 2 rows of flavorizer bars. They tend to be just a bit more temp stable and have a little more room when doing rotisserie

I'm new to using a Weber gas grill as of this summer. Prior to that I assumed Webers were just overpriced compared to other options and that you were primarily paying for the name plate. At this point though I'm becoming a convert, at least for the older models (the jury is still out on the newest models from the past couple years as far as I can tell).

Regarding your question about "are they better", I think there's at least 2 aspects that people consider here. First is "do they cook better" and second is "are they built better".

As for cooking better, so far I think so, though it's not necessarily night and day (IMO). Prior to the 2002 Genesis that I'm using now, I was using a Vermont Castings VM400 (wife bought it before we got married so it wasn't my choice) and various cheap junk grills before that. I think the VM400 was a decent grill, and from what I can see it was probably comparable to a basic Weber when it was new. The 2002 Genesis that I'm using now does seem better, though. First, hot spots on the grill seem less obvious - meaning I think it heats more evenly which is nice. Second, the design of the flavorizer bars really does seem to mean less flare ups like the advertising claims. The flavorizer bar equivalents on the Vermont Castings were designed in a wave pattern, which meant grease and drippings could build up in the troughs. Thus, when flare ups happened, they tended to have enough fuel that the flare up would last for long enough to really make a sooty mess of your food. What I've noticed on the Weber design though is that even if I see a flare up from grease dripping, it lasts only a few seconds as the dripping is vaporized. The tent-style design of the flavorizer bars with steep sides means there isn't much build up there to keep a flare up going for very long. Most stuff that doesn't vaporize right away runs off the flavorizers and into the catch pan beneath, which is nicely designed to be easy to clean.

Another aspect to cooking better is a little more usage dependent and subjective, but the older Webers all used burners that ran from side to side (often referred to here as "east-west" burners). Basically every other grill I've ever seen (including newer Webers now) have burners that run front to back (or "north-south"). A lot of people here seem to prefer the east-west design, and it is especially preferred by people who use the rotisserie. I'm not one of those people (yet), so I think the east-west isn't as much of a benefit for me. I do think it helps provide more even heating as the gaps between burners is obviously smaller in an east-west design. However, it is a little harder to do indirect cooking as you basically are stuck with the back third of the grill for your indirect.

As for being built better, this is a definite yes (at least for the older models, pre-2005), and probably a big part of the reason why so many people love them. First, the design of the older models is such that there are really very few parts, and they can be disassembled easily. Some of the parts are essentially consumable (won't last on any grill), such as the flavorizers, burners, and some grates. Replacements for these consumable parts are readily available from many sources, making the grill easy to keep going. The non-consumable parts (firebox, lid, and frame) are built to last. The firebox is aluminum so it will never rust out (which is a big difference from a lot of cheaper grills). The frame can rust, but it is solidly built and can be cleaned up without much work and will stay mostly rust-free if you take care of it. The lid won't rust either unless the porcelain coating is chipped.

A big part of the maintainability of Webers from what I can tell is that they didn't change their designs much over the years, meaning replacement parts can be made that then fit a wide range of manufacturing years and models. That's an incentive for replacement parts suppliers because they can target a large market without having to have a different variation for each model year. This leads to parts being easy to find, both official Weber parts as well as aftermarket.

Anyway, that's my $.02 at this point. I was about to buy a brand new Weber this summer but realized I had an old one from a previous owner sitting on my deck already that I hadn't touched. I got inspired by the many great restoration threads here to tear that one apart and rebuild it, and I've been cooking on it ever since and have been very happy with it. It has an unassuming appearance (no stainless), but it's a classic look that I appreciate. I don't like stainless grills because to me they always look dirty (water spots, stains, etc.).

You mention up there Gold C and Silver B and swapping manifolds from propane to NG or vice versa. Do you want to swap between these two? The Gold C has a side burner and the Silver B does not. The manifolds are different. The gas manifold of the Silver B does NOT have the option to connect a side burner.

I personally never had an issue with the piezo igniters not working. They are normally very reliable unless they are rusted away. Contrary the electronic ones on the newer grills tend to go bad more often. Mostly due to contact problems in the battery compartment. Or due to leaked batteries.

There’s also an older (4000?) ‘platinum’ with the green lid and wooden bar shelves that’s around the same price. Any real difference aside from the thermoset shelves and stainless lid of the genesis-gold?

The stainless steel hood is about 1" higher than the enameled hoods of the 4000 giving you a bit more space under the hood. But I prefer the enameled hoods because the SS hood has that interior liner made of inferior steel which tends to rust a lot. No issues with the enameled hoods here.
The Thermoset tables are easier to care about. They basically need no care. The wooden tables need to be cared for to prevent the wood from rotting. But they look nicer (my opinion). As LMichaels mentions the fire box of the x0000 series is deeper with two layers of flavorizer bars. However the mounts for the grease pan slides on the odelr x000 tend to be rusted out more often. These are metal screws inside aluminum and once they break it is a pain to fix that.

First welcome to the forum, lots of very knowledgeable and friendly folks on here to give any advice you may need.
I was a junk grill collector for years thinking that everyone replaced their gas grills every two years or so due to rust or no available parts to fix it. So why spend the money on a Weber, well a friend of mine bought a new genesis 1000 in 1997 and I was impressed with the cooking abilities of it and especially the solid construction. So I broke down and bought a green genesis 1000LX in 1999.
Guess what I still have it and it cooks just like it did when it was new. I converted it to a 2000 last year and it will stay with me as long as I'm sucking air. I also have a 1998 skyline 1000 and a 2009 genesis 320 side winder (E/W burners) that's NG and gets used a lot and being almost 10 years old it still has all it's original parts..
Plus 7 other Weber kettles and smokers.
The early genesis grills are really hard to beat for reliability and parts availability. Try finding parts for any other 20 year old grill.

Last edited:
Wow... thanks guys. That was extensive. I misspoke about it being a C. The conversion was from a genesis gold-b to natural gas with a silver-b donating the manifold so I think I would have been ok.

The other that I’m looking at is a platinum 1000-5500 series green lid c (?) model with a side burner but that’s already a natural gas model. I think I’m going to go that route and maybe get some stainless flavourizer bars for it. Pretty sure the drip tray is falling apart, but I’m pretty handy and I don’t think it’ll take too much to pull that apart. Maybe some stainless screws are in order.

Wow... thanks guys. That was extensive. I misspoke about it being a C. The conversion was from a genesis gold-b to natural gas with a silver-b donating the manifold so I think I would have been ok.
yes this would have worked. This is an easy swap

The other that I’m looking at is a platinum 1000-5500 series green lid c (?) model with a side burner but that’s already a natural gas model. I think I’m going to go that route and maybe get some stainless flavourizer bars for it. Pretty sure the drip tray is falling apart, but I’m pretty handy and I don’t think it’ll take too much to pull that apart. Maybe some stainless screws are in order.
Yes you can still get a set of SS flavorizer bars. No sure if from Weber but for sure aftermarket. From what learned the numbering scheme goes something like that:
1000 = regular grill, no side burner, flip up table on left side
2000 = wider grill with an extra top shelf were the side burner would sit
3000 = wider grill with side burner
4000 = 3000 plus a flip up table on the right hand side. Rare find.
5000 = 4000 plus enclosed cabinet with glass doors. I have never ever seen one in person.

The other that I’m looking at is a platinum 1000-5500 series green lid c (?) model with a side burner but that’s already a natural gas model. I think I’m going to go that route and maybe get some stainless flavourizer bars for it. Pretty sure the drip tray is falling apart, but I’m pretty handy and I don’t think it’ll take too much to pull that apart. Maybe some stainless screws are in order.[/QUOTE]

Welcome by Stefan's table its a 3000 my vote is to get that one especially if you want nat gas plus its green. You said its a Platinum does the lid have the graphics like this? If so I think that would be pretty sharp with the green.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/app/d/weber-platinum-series-propane/6643976516.html

Well, this would be a 4000 then. I don’t know... rare? I’ve seen a few used ones lately. I think I’ll pick it up. Too bad it’s not a red head.

I guess it’s not an absolute problem. Only that if it starts acting up it would be. Our junky Chinese grill has had the same AA battery in it’s igniter since new and is still going strong. 10 years and winters too. It’s a bit weird.

Doesn’t seem like anyone makes retrofit electronic igniters for the old Webers, is that a fair assessment?

Obviously the battery was not made in China! Lol.

Well, this would be a 4000 then. I don’t know... rare? I’ve seen a few used ones lately. I think I’ll pick it up. Too bad it’s not a red head.

Sorry thought you said it had a burner on the right side my bad. I am partial to the redheads also have 2 of them but I like the green also.

Back