Smithfield Celebrates Competition BBQ & Award-Winning Pitmasters at 2018 Amer Royal

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Smithfield Celebrates Competition BBQ & Award-Winning Pitmasters at 2018 Amer Royal

First-Ever Smokin’ With Smithfield Pork Loin Ancillary Contest Provides $6,000 in Additional Prize Money for BBQ Teams

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Sept. 10, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Over 230 barbecue teams across the country will get the chance to win an additional $6,000 in prize money at the 39th American Royal World Series of Barbecue® this weekend, thanks to the inaugural Smokin’ With Smithfield Pork Loin Ancillary contest. As the sport of competition barbecue evolves beyond traditional cuts of meat, participating teams will have the opportunity to get creative and showcase their master barbecue skills with high-quality, hand-trimmed Smithfield Prime Fresh Pork Loins, provided by Smithfield as the official Pork Loin Category Sponsor.

In addition, the American Royal marks the final stop of the brand’s “Get Grilling America” mobile tour. On Saturday, Sept. 15, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., event attendees can visit the Smithfield booth at Space #307 for interactive fresh pork grilling demonstrations hosted by Weber grillmaster Kevin Kolman and Smithfield’s Championship Pitmasters, and enjoy free fresh pork samples and giveaways.

“The American Royal is the largest and one of the most distinguished barbecue competitions in the world, and we’re so happy to be back for another year to share Smithfield’s commitment and passion for competition barbecue with the best of the best in the sport,” said Kelsy Olson, associate brand manager of fresh pork marketing for Smithfield Foods. “We are proud to say that so many of these award-winning pitmasters cook with Smithfield Fresh Pork on the competition circuit. They know that starting out with high-quality, flavorful and versatile products is what it takes to win and trust Smithfield to deliver!”

Over the last decade, more than 10 past winners of the Open or Invitational competition have cooked with Smithfield Fresh Pork. This year, nearly 70 of the cook teams attending are part of the Smokin’ With Smithfield Committed Cooks or BBQ Alliance programs, which reward pitmasters for using Smithfield product in the Pork and Rib categories. A few of the renowned pitmasters include World Champions Sterling Ball, Chris Lilly, Darren Warth, Melissa Cookston, Ernest Servantes, 2017 American Royal Open Grand Champion, Blane Hunter, and Tuffy Stone, who is also receiving the prestigious honor of being inducted into the 2018 class of the Barbecue Hall of Fame®.

“Every year, the American Royal is the big homecoming for the many esteemed and talented pitmasters coming from all over the world,” said Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke. “It is an honor and privilege to be inducted into the Barbecue Hall of Fame in front of my friends and colleagues in the sport that I love – I can’t wait to see everyone and start cooking!”

For more information and a full calendar of events for the American Royal World Series of Barbecue, visit www.AmericanRoyal.com. For more grilling tips and recipe inspiration from Smithfield’s award-winning pitmasters, visit www.SmithfieldGetGrilling.com.

Well said Chris. The competition was amazing from start to finish. Glad I was there. Our team did not do as well as we expected, but I am sure most teams say that. Gives us more to work on.

Back