Chicken, Jalapenos and Tater Tot Casserole

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
When I saw this recipe I knew it would be good for game day. Here's some pic's.

First of all, I spun a little 3.9 lb. chicken.

enhance

Then shredded the meat.

enhance

I'd cut the recipe in half so lined a baking dish with one pound of Tots.

enhance

Mixed up some sour cream, cream cheese, garlic salt and pepper.

enhance

Mixed in half cup of shredded Mexican cheese and then added a couple sliced green onions, 3 chopped jalapenos and a half pound fried bacon, crumbled.

enhance

I'd given the Tots and jump start earlier in the day to partially cook. Then topped with the chicken first.

enhance

Then added half the cream cheese mixture.

enhance

Then finished it off by adding the remaining onions, bacon lastly topped it of with the remaining cheese. (not shown) Put in fridge until 45 minutes before dinner time

enhance

Got the casserole on the grill

enhance

Gave it about 30 minutes as it'd gotten pretty cool in fridge.

enhance

Plated it up with some of my biscuits and my wife's green salad.

enhance

This was a mighty fine meal. Very filling and nice flavors. If I do it again, I'll leave in the seeds when I chop the jalapenos to spice things up a little more. Have a good week everyone and thanks for looking.

Cliff,

You say you cut the recipe in half, and I like that. Did you, however, use all of the chicken you cooked, making it somewhat more "chickeny" than the original?

Thanks,

JimT

Cliff,

You say you cut the recipe in half, and I like that. Did you, however, use all of the chicken you cooked, making it somewhat more "chickeny" than the original?

Thanks,

JimT

You know Jim, I meant to mention that too. I only used half the chicken. Froze the other half for chicken salad sandwiches or whatever later on. That would have been a deep dish casserole for sure and as you say, a little too "chickeny".

Cliff, thanks for the link to the recipe. I copied the narrative and made a word document with it. Showed it to Barb she was all over it, looks like I'll have some good eats here soon.;)

I spun an extra bird just to have enough leftovers for this very recipe! I’m going to do it in the oven as I will be unable to ride herd on it tomorrow when my wife’s shoulder goes through week three of physical therapy! So far, she’s doing very well but, she’s a tough one when it comes to this kind of thing!

OK, fired this up tonight, a couple of impressions:
Tots should definitely go on top!
I felt they got too “soft” even with a “pretoasting”.
The addition of some peas might make it a little more “one dish” meal.
A small amount of diced celery would improve the “crunch factor” too.
I will experiment with another run of this and follow up.
Wife agrees with the “tweaks”.
Good starting point.
I have made a variant of this with browned ground beef, cream of potato soup, sautéed mushrooms, peas as the base. A layer of sliced cheese topping the whole thing off with tots, seriously good feed!

Thanks for posting this Cliff!

Tried this tonight and it was a huge hit! Will definitely be making this more! I think next time I'll saute' the diced jalapenos first to soften them up a bit and will definitely give this one a try with leftover rotisserie turnkey. Going to be doing a pre-thanksgiving rotisserie turkey later next month and we usually do turkey enchiladas with the leftovers, but after eating this tonight I got the go-ahead from my wife to do this casserole instead :)

Back