Thread: Asian Sticky Ribs

Asian Sticky Ribs

I wanted to try something different from the same old BBQ'ed baby backs so I gave this recipe a try.

$10 worth of BB's and the rub ingredients.

Ready to go.

On the 18 with KBB and some apple wood. My trusty Bug-A-Salt is one of my newest toys to have around when I'm cooking outdoors. I put a laser on it too.

This is for the braising liquid.

After 2 hours at 230 the ribs went in the bath and were covered with foil.

This is after 3 more hours at 325.

Ingredients for the sauce. That is strained braise liquid in the pyrex.

Directly over the coals on the WSM to finish.

Time to eat.

These were tasty, a nice break from the usual BB's. Next time I'll shave an hour off of the braising time, they were a little too tender. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Pat G; 09-10-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Corrected typo in title from wings to ribs
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Different approach to ribs. I'm sure they were quite tasty, nice cook.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Wings?? Well, no matter what they're called they look delicious. You're playing to one of my favorite tastes there Pat. Love those ingredients. How would the bug-a-salt work on yellow jackets? We're inundated this year. We have 4 traps out and fill them daily.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Bartlett View Post
    Wings?? Well, no matter what they're called they look delicious. You're playing to one of my favorite tastes there Pat. Love those ingredients. How would the bug-a-salt work on yellow jackets? We're inundated this year. We have 4 traps out and fill them daily.
    Oops, I think it auto-filled wings. I don't think I would use it on yellow jackets. Every once in a while it takes two shots to down a fly. I don't think I would want to give a yellow jacket a second chance.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Looks wonderful Really enjoy them with basmati rice for a side.

But Asian ribs should have toasted sesame seeds on them as well as the green onions. Really adds that something special.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    Looks wonderful Really enjoy them with basmati rice for a side.

But Asian ribs should have toasted sesame seeds on them as well as the green onions. Really adds that something special.
    You are correct Len, the recipe actually called for them. My 8 year old daughter, who loves just about everything I cook, is allergic to sesame seeds. We had to use the EpiPen on her once before and I don't ever want to do that again.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Perfect choice! Family ALWAYS comes first.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I'd like to give that recipe a try, nice cook Pat. My buddy has one of those salt guns, keeps the kids entertained while he cooks.
    Bacon....the duct tape of the Gods.

Looks tasty! love Asian style ribs, and wings!
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Excellent cook. I may have to try those. My wife is kind of iffy with ribs. These might convert her.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2