Can the side mounted thermometers be adjusted?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I am working on these two older Weber Genesis with the side mounted thermometers (#9815). Both of them are off quite a bit. Can they be adjusted or do I need to replace them?

Thx
Stefan

I know of no way to "adjust" or calibrate them. New is really your only option. $6 from Weber is a good deal. But they do charge a flat $7 shipping fee, so maybe work up a list of stuff to add to the order.

Stefan how far are they off did you test them in boiling water if they are off 4 degrees just adjust when you cook. You either add 4 degrees or subtract depending on your reading they are not known to be that great of a therm by the way a Tru-Tel is way more accurate but 33 bucks.

Its my opinion and I have a smoker is to learn when you are cooking what is the time according to what the therm says for temp that gets you the results you need and if you don't have an instant read therm in the end your just guessing it takes a bit of cooking to learn your grill.

Then there is the grate temp and the weber mounted higher therm temp they are going to be different you can learn to cook with what you got or decide your going to use grate temp.

Asking Bruce here hope he chimes in he has a smoke which he is measuring grate temp I assume. Bruce have you ever noted the temp with the smoke at grate level compared to what the Weber mounted higher reads?

Brian, I have never done a real in depth comparison. I intend to but I always get to involved in the cook and forget, but it is similar but usually about 10-20 cooler on the lid therm. But, my lid therm is old, so it probably isn't accurate to start with. One of the biggest advantages of the Smoke remote thermometer is that it is so much more responsive. It displays the actual temp within a couple seconds where the lid thermometer is always way behind until the temp stabilizes.

Thanhs guys. I guess I replace them. The ones I have are all over the place. They are all in the same box in the garage at around 80 to 90 ambient temperature. One showing 100+ the other is at 350...

I might test the one reading 100 if its 90 in the garage you got nothing to lose. The one reading 350 guessing that one must be shot.

Yah, I wouldn't worry too much about temps around 100, but the boiling water test is a real good test as it is closer to cooking temps and much more accurate than ambient air temps.

Back