AGA Stoves

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Anyone ever heard of these?

https://www.agamarvel.com/aga/

https://www.agamarvel.com/aga/who-we-are/history-of-aga/

aga.jpg

If I recall, these units stay at a constant heat output 24/7. There is no preheat period.

Some even run off of wood and coal.

A blind engineer designed these stoves from what I read. They are made out of cast iron, and distribute heat very well.

When I was younger Roper stoves were popular and moving them up 2-3 flights of stairs was a pain.
roper-gas-stove-appliances-like-this-1950s-moffat-roper-stove-used-to-last-forever-and-could-be-roper-gas-roper-gas-oven-wont-light-vintage-roper-gas-stove-manual-760x570.jpg

68734de314bd856d13407b4236bed868.jpg

I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to move one of those AGA's.

Tim

When I was younger Roper stoves were popular and moving them up 2-3 flights of stairs was a pain.
roper-gas-stove-appliances-like-this-1950s-moffat-roper-stove-used-to-last-forever-and-could-be-roper-gas-roper-gas-oven-wont-light-vintage-roper-gas-stove-manual-760x570.jpg

I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to move one of those AGA's.

Tim

My grandmother used to have one of those, although it ran on bottled gas.

Ate many a fine meal on that stove!

My parents had an aga stove installed in their kitchen when I was about 13. They are an awesome stove to cook on and very heavy, you would not be able to pick it up and move it about. It was oil fired and ran 27/7, 52 weeks of the year. It had two ovens with the lower oven being cooler and ideal for slow cooking, the top oven being hotter was good for roasts and baking. I wish I had one to use now but they really are a big investment.

When their house was sold 25 years later it was included in the sale, the house was up for sale 20 years after that and the same aga was still in the kitchen and in working order, I saw some pictures and it still looked good being some 45 years old!!

Last edited:
John, what kind of economy can one expect from a stove that runs all the time?

Sounds like it would be a good fit for homes in the frost belt though.

Aga also makes (made) marine stoves which were the pinnacle for boat owners “way back when”.
I’ve known two people that had them in their kitchens, really interesting piece of equipment!

The Charlotte Observer had an article on these stoves a while back. Some Charlotte-area residents own one.

Aga also makes (made) marine stoves which were the pinnacle for boat owners “way back when”.
I’ve known two people that had them in their kitchens, really interesting piece of equipment!

Must've needed a big boat to handle one of those!

Back