Saving an '05 Silver B Premium

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
So there I was... minding my own business and watching some football on tv, when I came across this free Weber grill ad, located about 25 minutes away:

44581866611_f32eab8e5a_o.jpg

43672059695_3a36cd2972_o.jpg

44581866461_6d48edc7e8_o.jpg

44581866671_e0354c3d36_o.jpg

43863437634_14805f09d4_o.jpg

I was on the road w/in 5 minutes and was able to snag it.

The good:

the frame is in good shape and the bolt that mounts the firebox to the frame wasn't seized
4 out of 5 Weber stainless FBs were in good shape
burners were in good shape
drip tray is serviceable
all of the thermoset pieces are intact
it came with a Martin Grill Gadget

The bad:

the bottom shelf was toast (but I happen to have a new replacement from Weber)
it will need a new igniter
it needs new grates
it needs new drip pan+holder
it needs a new crossover tube

For free that is always good the look of that grill is not my cup of tea but again its free nice score.

I guess that is what makes the world go around. To me that is an awesome score! While the classic Genesis with wood slats will always be my favorite, I think this last Silver was also really sharp, along with the Platinum variant from the same two years. Love the black handle and controls;). I look forward to seeing you restore this one, as I always enjoy your workmanship.

This is awesome. I have never seen a green one of these. Only boring black and SS. I would have jumped on this as well. Kind of jealous. Thanks for saving it.

JK for some reason when I first looked at it thought it was Black then I looked again that thing is damn good looking with the Green lid and the black knobs and of course as usual when you done with it will look brand new.

JK, obviously your view is better than mine, but why do you say the grates need to be replaced?

One of the welds has failed on a grate on one side. It would be usable but not a great look on a grill to be rehabbed.

I will hold on to the other grate for a future project.

I will say that this is the first green '05 B Premium I've seen in person. I've parted out a black one and have also come across a black one with pinstripes on the lid.

A lot of those stamped steel grates have the welds fail on them far before the grates deteriorate enough to throw them out. I would never buy those style of grates.

A lot of those stamped steel grates have the welds fail on them far before the grates deteriorate enough to throw them out. I would never buy those style of grates.

Just drive a small sheet metal screw in to "retack" the grate. On flips, I simply tell people that I could replace the grates (and happen to have a set on hand for $30 extra), but a 2 cent screw does a wonderful job for much less.

Dave,
I have just found that people really like the clean box and inner lid and new bars and grates. Sure, I have to raise the price, but it sets the grills off from all the other "used" grills out there on CL.

I have tried allowing mixing and matching some of those parts and it has caused problems. When they get there, it always winds up being, "I will take it, but only if I can get the new grates for the price with the old grates". It seems like it is better off to show the customers exactly what was in the add when they get there to avoid confusion and indecision. I did have a guy walk on me when he was ready to buy the grill but asked why I didn't replace the burners. I told him they were in great shape and would last years. I then told him I could put new ones in but it would take me about 15 minutes and would cost another $25. He said OK but he still wanted it for the listing price. I said I cannot do that as the listing price was for the used burners. He walked but I was sure he would have taken it, had I not offered the new burners. That was last year and was the only guy that showed up to look and hasn't bought a grill from me.

I will offer additional accessories like propane tanks, covers, etc... But, I try to keep the grill itself along with internals exactly like it shows in the add.

Congrats on the score, JKim.
As you know I am also about 25 minutes from where that grill was.
I thought of you when I saw the ad come up, but I didn't feel like getting off the couch for the 3 or so hours I was on it watching football and spent the rest of the day doing some serious yard work.

I, too wondered about the green lid and thought it was interesting.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out once fixed!

Last edited:
This is awesome. I have never seen a green one of these. Only boring black and SS. I would have jumped on this as well. Kind of jealous. Thanks for saving it.

I didn't even realize it was green! I like black, too, but green is less common and sure looks GREAT!

As promised here, some photos of the firebox and lid getting the Dawn Power Dissolver treatment:

43831085705_184baa9f1d_b.jpg

44739704801_00f04c33a2_b.jpg

I will say there was some minimal scrubbing by hand afterwards, but I too had pretty good results from it (the carbon buildup on the lid that I usually remove with a razor blade came off like paint dissolved by paint remover):

44690527272_d355ed87ec_b.jpg

30868839848_cfda5df4dd_b.jpg

more pics coming later.

Beautiful grill, JKim.

I am going to have to hunt the Power Dissolver down.
I thought Royal Purple worked well, but it doesn't appear to do anywhere near the job that this Power Dissolver does.

JKim,
Looks like you had some good results as well with Dawn Power Dissolver.

Ryan,
Royal Purple cleaner? Did you mean Purple Power?

Jeff

I was initially going to flip it... but I've had a change of heart and am going to keep it...

New lower shelf:
43830638605_e1d8bca224_h.jpg

New crossover tube and igniter:

30868839548_5c21837dc2_h.jpg

I have it pictured here for resale with a set of Uniflasy grates, but in my keeper configuration, I am going to use a set of smooth-finish 65618 grates that have some flaws that I can't include on a rehab grill but would be just fine for personal use.

30868839408_fc480a3bc1_b.jpg

Back