Best tool I've bought for restoring Weber's? Rockwell Jawhorse gets my vote.

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
I've been buying a bunch of tools lately to help me around the Home as well as Weber grill restorations but this purchase is hands down the best one I've made. It just makes the job so much easier.

I originally was going to get a Black & Decker Workmate but as reading an article comparing it to the Rockwell Jawhorse I became interested in the Jawhorse so the search was on.

I was searching Craigslist for a original model RK9000 and came across one in Maine that was used for one project and put into the shed soon thereafter. A quick call to the owner and it was still available and he accepted my offer. I was going to be vacationing in Old Orchard Beach Maine and he was about 25 minutes from my Motel so he said he'd hold it for me for three weeks till I made my way to up North.

After I got it Home I had to try it out. I immediately placed a Genesis Cook Box in it, clamped it down, and sanded it with my Bosch 1/4 sheet sander (also a newer purchase).

gKXLHg0.jpg

When that was finished I clamped my End Caps in and proceeded to sand them down as well.

5zbxH3T.jpg

I used it for another project for my Wife's Daycare and each time I used it I wondered how I been getting along without it- yes, it's that handy. My kids asked me if they wouldn't be called outside to help with Dad's projects now that I had this and not once have I had to yell for them to "give Dad a Hand".

So if any of you guys are looking for a second set of hands, the Jawhorse might be your answer.

Here is the cheesy infomercial for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=GDZwxZStFoo

Jeff

I would love to find a second hand one of those, I have a workmate more than 10 years old. Its been good to me but the table piece is crap mine need to be replaced and I am either going to replace it with pressure treated as Bruce suggested or white oak use the originals as templates for all the holes.

This one goes right to left and as you know the workmate goes front to back. If I could find one of those used for a reasonable price would pick it up for sure its pretty pricey but I generally buy the best tools except for crap like angle grinders which my Ryobi has served me well for many years but that is not a tool except for grills you are using all the much but I did use it to cut some flagstone for my lawn with a diamond blade and it keeps on running.

Don't know what you paid for it but it looks like quality, I am familiar with Rockwell the make really good stuff.

That does look nice. So what would a good used price be? I see Menards has them on clearance for $99

Bruce,
That's a pretty good price. I paid $80.00 for mine and mine came with the extended arm to do full 4'x8' sheet of plywood as well as the Log and Chainsaw attachment so that's an additional $100 of options.

Jeff

Yah, that's a great tool for rehabbing. Some Lowes stores had them on sale for $29.99 a couple of days ago. Unfortunately none in my area had them for that price. Not sure if it was a regional thing but for those that got it for that price certainly scored.

Bruce,
That's a pretty good price. I paid $80.00 for mine and mine came with the extended arm to do full 4'x8' sheet of plywood as well as the Log and Chainsaw attachment so that's an additional $100 of options.

Jeff

Jeff, yes the extended arm the other attachment for sure for 80 bucks you got a good deal like Bruce I can buy that for 99 bucks on the internet but the money most likely is in the attachments it always is.

Thanks, Jeff for the Work Horse tip, and thanks Bruce for the Menards tip. Just ordered mine. Should be here in a few days.
I have been using my Workmate, it just is not adequate to do what I need it to do.

Yah, that's a great tool for rehabbing. Some Lowes stores had them on sale for $29.99 a couple of days ago. Unfortunately none in my area had them for that price. Not sure if it was a regional thing but for those that got it for that price certainly scored.

Sam, I am not doubting what you said but I would find it hard to believe anyone had that quality of a tool for $29.95 I don't even think that would be a regional thing but if you find some in your area buy as many as you can in for $70 bucks nice profit for you. :)

That looks like a really cool tool. I could see all kind of uses for it. One good thing would be holding struts while rebuilding them. Doing them on the garage floor is a PIA. Plus they slide all over the place when you put the spring compressor on. Nice tool. Now I gotta look for one too

Sam I apologize what a score that would have been full price at my Lowe's and out of stock. I would have loved to have one of those for that price like Bruce I have seen them for $99 bucks on the web.

Really? I'll have to look as soon I'll have my rebate from the gutter screens I put on a few weeks ago

My local Mom & Pop Hardware store not only has the original RK9000 in stock but the discontinued RK9006 Benchjaws in stock as well.

hTjTMyA.jpg

LhCk9a6.jpg

Jeff

Back