Rye Bread

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Nothing special but oh SO good :D

I love rye bread w/caraway seeds but I don't usually make it because Lorraine likes rye but NOT caraway. I can tolerate it but oh my, I made two loaves today with the full caraway seed allotment (she's gone for two days ;) ) so watta heck :D

I use the no knead method exclusively so tried to find a recipe. 99% of them are sourdough rye breads. I have starter but it was still cold. Finally I found one that wasn't sourdough that I adapted to my method. AND they all use soo much yeast, even the 18 hour versions.

So I used all their ingredient measures (had to convert to grams as well) but only 1/2 the yeast.

Not quite sure why one loaf rose more than the other (all the same dough batch) but in the end it didn't matter.

Ham and cheese with dijon on fresh rye bread. You know the meal is fantastic when your mind says "MORE!" but your stomach says "NO MORE" ;)

No pic of the sandwich as I just couldn't wait for the loaf to cool completely (I'd waited an hour already) and the bread tore while cutting.

This bread was da bomb
sb2jJkA.jpg

Last edited:
Your rye bread looks fantastic, Len! Reminds me that I have to get some good rye flour and give this a try. I have done a lot of no knead, long rising breads with great success. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not the only person who wants a pic of the sandwich ;) I've been craving a ham n cheese.

I had an aversion to Rye bread from the time I was ~10 years old until maybe 5-10 years ago. We had rye toast the morning after a sleepover where we watched NOTLD (iirc) - any time I even smelled rye, or picked up some caraway in a pizza sauce or anything, I had to try to ignore it. I've been giving it another shot over the last 5 years (brave, aren't i). Lets see some Reubens!

More OT: just a few days ago I cleaned out my fridge - I had 3 jars of sauerkraut in there - all of them about 1/3 empty :) . I kept the freshest.

Back