2000 Genesis Siliver B Frame Connectors Rusted

Jeff Calhoun

TVWBB Fan
Hi all, I have an older Genesis Silver B that is fairly clean except for the frame connectors which have rusted out. I removed the lower tray for the photos. I contacted Weber but they do not stock these parts anymore. I hit the welded portion of the frame with my Die Grinder and wire wheel to clean up most of the surface rust.

Is there a third party that sells these frame parts? Otherwise I will have to buy 1" square tubing and the mounting hardware separately etc. Any help would be appreciated since I know there are a lot of pro restorers here.

QpVPBQU.jpg

uBjNbmJ.jpg

b6jUkc1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bruce. I think my best option is to buy the 1" square tubing and the inserts from McMaster-Carr. If I under stand this correctly the inserts will stick out beyond the tubing 1/16" on both sides? How did Weber design the frame connectors to be flush on the ends? I can't really tell with mine since the ends are rusted out completely. The tubing and inserts will only cost around $18 so that isn't so bad.

Last question, what paint should I use on the new frame? I've read about some different options but wanted to get confirmation from the pros. Also, do I need a primer?

I attached some photos from some older posts so I hope that is OK.

CmOfLXs.jpg

bKtOQ6F.jpg

JouibtA.jpg

YHXgi96.jpg

Jeff,
I see that you've seen my post about the Square tubing nuts.

Yes, they protrude 1/16" on each side so cut your new tubing accordingly.
Weber used the round inserts that sat inside the frame. Some call these star nuts or round tube connecting nuts. Either way will get you to where you want to be.

Here are two vendors who have round start nuts-
https://www.mcmaster.com/connector-nuts

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00SHPSED0/tvwb-20

Regarding the frame paint-
I've used several paints over the last couple of years for my restores as I like to mix it up and try new things. I've used Engine paint, Brake Caliper paint, Hi-heat paint.

My last couple frames have done I have been using VHT Roll Bar and Chassis paint in Satin finish as I find it resembles the factory finish Weber used(more than likely a powder coat) almost perfectly.

Jeff

For the lower legs and crossmembers, I would just use Rustoleum 2X paint. You don't need high heat paint for that. On the frame you want to use the high heat paint around the top on any part that contacts or comes into "close" contact with the fire box. You can just use HH paint on the whole thing, but that can get expensive and is unnecessary. The Rustoleum 2x gloss black will give you a nice shiny finish as well.

I am an accountant and not a tool and metal working expert by any means. I have used the McMaster parts, and they work great. I don't think the tiny 1/16" that it sticks out amounts to anything or effects anything. I do personally kind of like how they sit square and can't get dislodged like I have seen some of the other type do after rust sets it. Here is a McMaster part on one of my grills:

69gtbq.jpg

Looks like McMaster shipped out my order. Definitely seems like an old fashioned company. I was expecting to get a shipping estimate before placing the order. Oh well.
From IL to MA, UPS ground is $7.03. So it's costing me $14.50 instead of $12.99 on Amazon.

Back