Wings on WSM

Morris Schaffer

Hello folks,

I’m new to the smoker world. I’ve appreciated and enjoyed all the posts and information I’ve read on this site. Thank you for all that and taking the time to read this. It’s one of the main reasons I bought the WSM.

Over the holiday weekend, I smoked some chicken wings for the first time on my 18.5” using the recipe on the VWB (with only modifying the rub and BBQ sauce) and it came out great. Absolutely awesome actually! Everyone loved them! One problem though, there really weren’t enough wings to go around. My question is, has anyone smoked wings or any poultry on the lower rack on the WSM while smoking some on the top rack? What is the temperature and cook time difference between upper and lower racks?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Morris;
There is only 10-20 degrees difference typically between the two grates. I’ve had little difference in actual practice. I often use both grates when smoking a variety of meats.

However, for the record, I now do my chicken parts on my Weber grills with the Vortex.

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

get a 2nd top grate with handles. load the 1st like you would normally do. turn 2nd grate upside down place on 1st grate with handles rotated 90 deg. and load with wings. I do this with wings and shrimp.

That sounds great. We've got terrible weather so I may just fire up the fryer. But wings on the wsm using Chris's high heat method without the pan would be pretty damn killer.

Back