Thread: Wings on WSM

Wings on WSM

Hello folks,

Iím new to the smoker world. Iíve appreciated and enjoyed all the posts and information Iíve read on this site. Thank you for all that and taking the time to read this. Itís one of the main reasons I bought the WSM.

Over the holiday weekend, I smoked some chicken wings for the first time on my 18.5Ē using the recipe on the VWB (with only modifying the rub and BBQ sauce) and it came out great. Absolutely awesome actually! Everyone loved them! One problem though, there really werenít enough wings to go around. My question is, has anyone smoked wings or any poultry on the lower rack on the WSM while smoking some on the top rack? What is the temperature and cook time difference between upper and lower racks?

Thank you in advance for your help!

TVWBB Gold Member
    Morris;
    There is only 10-20 degrees difference typically between the two grates. Iíve had little difference in actual practice. I often use both grates when smoking a variety of meats.

However, for the record, I now do my chicken parts on my Weber grills with the Vortex.

Keep on smokiní,
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

get a 2nd top grate with handles. load the 1st like you would normally do. turn 2nd grate upside down place on 1st grate with handles rotated 90 deg. and load with wings. I do this with wings and shrimp.

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    That sounds great. We've got terrible weather so I may just fire up the fryer. But wings on the wsm using Chris's high heat method without the pan would be pretty damn killer.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    That sounds great. We've got terrible weather so I may just fire up the fryer. But wings on the wsm using Chris's high heat method without the pan would be pretty damn killer.
    That does sound good.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke