Clay Saucer Cover vs. Steel Cover for better bark

What was your thought process in forming your question?
Not being picky just curious.

I can’t see how it would have any effect on the end product.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Depends what you call " better bark ".:)
You can get that " Meteorite " black bark using water in the pan and going L&S or skip the water and foil the top of the pan, and cook at a higher heat like 275-300.
Take that till you like the color.
Bark ( to me) has more to do with the ingredients in the rub and the type of smoke-wood used.
Hickory,Pecan give it a more blond look. Cherry adds a red color and Oak is always darker.
If you want crunchy barky bark, then either the CS or that Aluminum pan you linked to will work.

I like to mess around and experiment with different things, so your thought process is valid, but you need to decide which one works for you.:wsm:

Tim

I just recently bought the steel cover,after using a clay saucer for the last 9 months or so. I can't tell any difference so far as far as bark.
One thing for sure though. The saucer is porous and obviously absorbs grease and smoke. Every time I use the steel saucer I have to clean grease off of the bottom which I didn't notice while using the clay saucer. I actually like the clay better but it was getting cracks and i didn't want to search the big box stores every time I need a new water pan cover.

Back