Temp Question

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
Just thought I'd ask. My 2002 Genesis Silver C has always run hot. On high, it gets dangerously hot and catches on fire if there is ANY grease. With all burners on low, it sits around 450. I've been cooking on it for 16 years and it hasn't bothered me. I cook steaks and burgers with the burners set just below Medium, hot dogs and boneless chicken breasts on Low. If I need lower temps, I just turn off the middle burner for indirect or the back burner and cook direct using the front 2/3 of the grill.

Lots of my friends have Weber gassers and their temps are much lower. Low is actually low. What do you think is happening in mine? Is there a way to regulate it? No big deal as I almost never use it, but I'm curious.

BTW, the temps are honest. I've checked them with 2 other thermometers.

Lew, I had the same issue recently and it turned out the regulator from my 1000 went bad. I was burning it off one day to clean the flavorizer bars and it spiked past 700 before I caught it.

I had a Charbroil regulator laying around bought the adapter as it was the new style then fired it up and back to the 550-575 range.

This is providing if that grill had been converted to propane that the manifold was swapped also.

Hmm...I did replace the regulator years ago with an aftermarket regulator. I'll get a new one at my local Ace Hardware and try it out. Thanks.

Hmm...I did replace the regulator years ago with an aftermarket regulator. I'll get a new one at my local Ace Hardware and try it out. Thanks.

They are like 11 dollars on Amazon I think probably not much more than ACE but worth a look. The grill was not converted from Nat Gas to propane I assume.

The OEM regulator is $25 and up. I used a cheap Charbroil regulator the last time. Not converted.

The OEM regulator is $25 and up. I used a cheap Charbroil regulator the last time. Not converted.

I am using a Charbroil you don't need a Weber which is probably $25 bucks.

Here is one from Amazon with a 3' hose which should be enough I would think you might want to check the length of the current one can't remember what it is on my grill. If you only needed 2' you can save a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B078K8DSXC/tvwb-20

Thanks. I also ordered some aftermarket burners. Don't want to put too much money into this since I almost never use it. It's mostly for my wife to use.

I've ordered 2 sets of aftermarket burners now from Ebay and have been impressed.
One for my Silver A and one for my Silver B.
I can't speak to longevity, but they certainly both cook very well right now, better than with the rotted burners on the A and the rotted crossover on the B.

Thanks. I also ordered some aftermarket burners. Don't want to put too much money into this since I almost never use it. It's mostly for my wife to use.

Lew, are you the guy who is the Kettle Guru on the WKC forum legendary status by the way. My 1000 is for my wife's use by the way I do use it during the week but it is mostly her grill use my performer on the weekend.

Heck putting to much money in her grill is not something that I worried about it was a complete rehab cause about the last thing I wanted to worry about was her complaining. Old cliche happy wife happy life.:)

No, it's not me. I like to think I know a lot about kettles (owned LOTS of them over the years) but I'm no Guru.

Back