Rotisserie Turkey on Labor Day

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I had a 7 lb. turkey breast in the fridge that I had planned to cook on Friday. Didn't get to it so it went on the board for our Labor Day Dinner. Sided it up with scalloped potatoes and balsamic Brussels sprouts. I was able to use my Meater on this cook and I'll throw in a few comments at the end of the post.

I put the turkey back in the fridge after rubbing it down with butter, chopped spices, and lemon and orange zest. It kind of clumped up on me in the fridge, but all was well once on the rotisserie.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Got the potatoes on for around 1 1/4 hours.

enhance

Sprouts took about 25 minutes.

enhance

Potatoes done.

enhance

Turkey done right around the 2 hour mark.

enhance

Gave it about 15 minute rest under foil before slicing.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

Well, that's it. The turkey was delicious and it was overall a very good dinner. Just a few comments on the Meater. I feel it performed admirably and I'm happy with the purchase. I've only done the one cook but have spent a few hours playing around with it. The only questionable area of concern is the range using the Bluetooth setup. I was averaging around 30 to 35 feet. With my grills proximity to the house, that worked for me. For those who have to trek out farther than that to do your cooks, it would probably be an issue using just Bluetooth. Cooking on indirect I was able to keep 22" Weber Kettle running comfortable for two hours maintaining dome temps right around 350 to 365ish. I was happy with that as Monday's temperature outside was over 100 degrees. At the end of the cook I compared meat temps between the Meater and a Thermapen and they were withing a degree of each other. I''m working on connecting to my Wifi via the Meater Link to extend my range. I posted a couple of photos below, start and finish of the cook. Anyway, enough of that. We had hot turkey sandwiches last night with at least enough turkey to last for another meal. That should d0 us until November. Thanks for looking everyone!

We love turkey and yours looks great. Been a long time, at least 10 years since I've spun a turkey, got to fix that.

Thanks guys!

Sure wish my Meater Block would get here!

I was reading one of their Blog's and apparently they're just finishing up testing on the Blocks. Maybe start shipping by the end of this month?? My laptop needs to go in and have some work done and will probably be in the shop a couple of weeks. I'm thinking about getting an IPad to use while it's in. I'll use that as the Meater link to our Wifi rather than getting the Block. We'll see.

Back