Even the Weber solid SS grates (#7639) are crap

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
One more reason to go withe the solid SS grates from RCplanebuyer. I just restored a 3 or 4 year old Weber Spirit S-320. It came with the solid SS grates from Weber. Part number 7639 and they were rusted really bad. Not rusted through but even after scrubbing off all the loose rust they still looked bad like seen in the photo. And yes they are magnetic assuming it is 430 SS vs. 304 SS.
40920995_10212533485955745_1738750761698852864_n.jpg

That's weird. I have 2 sets of those and no corrosion at all. One set on my dad's and one on my own. I never did put a magnet on them. Never felt a need to

A while back I put a magnet on various stainless parts of a new genesis II. All the exterior parts were non magnetic. But the interior parts like the stainless rod grates and the flavorizers were magnetic.

I'm not sure if on the interior parts that's a change from previous generation webers or not?

I do know from talking to the manager of our local outdoor center that with the new genesis II and spirit models weber switched to a better quality stainless. If they did that and cheapened the internals then shame on them.

A while back I put a magnet on various stainless parts of a new genesis II. All the exterior parts were non magnetic. But the interior parts like the stainless rod grates and the flavorizers were magnetic.

I'm not sure if on the interior parts that's a change from previous generation webers or not?

I do know from talking to the manager of our local outdoor center that with the new genesis II and spirit models weber switched to a better quality stainless. If they did that and cheapened the internals then shame on them.

I have done several of the previous two generations of Genesis - the ‘07-‘11 side control and then the newer front control 300 series. Most had stainless bar grates. They are magnetic and so apparently 430 stainless. The outside stainless was also magnetic on these grills, unlike the ‘05-‘06 Platinums which used 304 stainless. Anyway, I have never known any of these grates to “rust”. Are you sure you are not really dealing with hot cooked on junk which can mimic rust and even have an orange-red color? ANY stainless rod grate, even rcplanebuyer ones, will discolor and can get really crudded up if not cleaned thoroughly on a very regular basis.

You might want to try some more aggressive cleaning methods on your stainless rods. A wire cup brush on an angle grinder can get almost all of that off and make your grates look almost new. A sanding tool might also help. Here are a set of Broilmaster stainless rods that were totally junked up by the former owner and which I cleaned with the wire brush/angle grinder method and a little help from some disposable nail files:eek::

28hdamw.jpg

Jon, did you spray simple green on them then hit them with the angle grinder.

I can’t remember exactly on that set, but I have definitely found that using Simple Green or something close can help lubricate the wire brush process.

I am wanting to try some more with following up with an orbital sander using fine grit sanding pads to get the stainless rods closer to the original silky smooth finish. The wire brush gets most everything off that it can reach but leaves a less shiny finish with fine scratches.

I can’t remember exactly on that set, but I have definitely found that using Simple Green or something close can help lubricate the wire brush process.

I am wanting to try some more with following up with an orbital sander using fine grit sanding pads to get the stainless rods closer to the original silky smooth finish. The wire brush gets most everything off that it can reach but leaves a less shiny finish with fine scratches.

You plan to use it or sell it? One cook and the shinny grates will be no more. Lol

The solid SS Weber grates I got are for sure covered in rust and not baked grease. I have also come across many of the “channel formed” SS ones which have rusted like crazy. Some of them salvageable and some of them not. But on the other hand I just bought a brand new pair of channel formed SS grates from a local seller for $20. Ideal for a grill restore and fast sell.

You plan to use it or sell it? One cook and the shinny grates will be no more. Lol

I am in a holding pattern. I have another Broilmaster to restore and a customer waiting in the wings for it. I just want to be sure he comes through on that one. Otherwise, I am going to list both and see which one sells first. I will then keep the other one. So, for now it stays looking new, but yes, one cook and that is over for sure. Grills are meant to use, so, unless you are primping it for resale, some seasoning on the grates and inside is a good thing.

Jon that's good to know that weber hasn't recently taken a step backwards with the steel they use on their internals.

I was really disappointed when I opened the sealed brand new box of Weber SS grates for my Skyline. The part # for the spirit three burner is SG527 which will also fit the genesis series. I opened the box and here is a wrapped set of SS grates from a Chinese co. That look more like after market than the after market ones.
At least I got them at a real good price and a magnet won't stick to them.

Last edited:
The solid stainless grates on my EP310/330 will rust up like that occasionally, seems like usually after high heat grilling in humid conditions or after just sitting for awhile. I find mine tend to pit too if the rust stays unaddressed. I clean them off with wire brush and scouring pads, seems to work ok until the pitting gets too bad. I venture a guess the pitting will become so bad they'll need to be replaced in another 2-3 years. Kinda a bummer if I only get 5-6 years or so out of them but the porcelain ones are worse. Of course I think the warranty is 5 years on them.

It's unfortunately the trend with so much consumer equipment today, any parts found to be overbuilt for durability are cheapened up until they just meet the requirement of the warranty and minimum performance expectation of the consumer. Frankly I think it's due to a failure of American business schools to properly emphasize the overall costs to society and the consumer throughout the lifecycle of goods.

Back