Need to learn about Weber Q Grills (used ones) so I know what model to look for

I asked a similar question in Charcoal grills before I bought a used Performer Deluxe charcoal grill, and next on the shopping list is a camping grill. The Q series seem to be suitable. Here's what I know:

1) Some models have a higher domed lid to enable a chicken to be roasted - I want this
2) Some stands are collapsable - I also want this
3) There may be different fuel options (butane?) - I want propane, from my 20 lb home bottle

I'm in no hurry, and want something cheap for car camping with the family. I already have a nice 1980's Coleman propane stove (free curbside find), and this would be to supplement that for more meal options. I want to be able to take it with or without the stand, and if I'm taking the stand, it has to collapse. My ideal is a free curbside, or sub $50 rehab candidate ... at over $100, I want to have to do little if anything.

Is there a good history page (like I was led to for Performers and found for Genesis grills)? Q200, Q1200, Q2200, Q3200 etc ...

Thanks for any help. This one is my slowest project, so maybe I find something this Fall or Winter, maybe another couple of years. I'd like to get one before Weber cheapen the model like they have to the Genesis and Spirits.

Thanks

PS My camping stove is like this.

I don't know if this forum is frequented by the few experts whose posts I read in the Weber Gas Forum; if you don't get hits on this in a day or so then you might consider reaching-out to that one. I know of two or three guys there whom can direct you. I started buying Weber grills and smokers nearly 3 years ago but just within the past month took interest in their Q line, having acquired a Q 1200 and Q 2200 (and senselessly eyeing a Q 3200). Thus far, I've used the 1 lb cylinders but I did purchase an adapter that--based on my limited knowledge--will allow the Q1, 2, or 3 to run off a 20 lb tank. And I have learned from others (in the Gas forum) that there are differences in the lid height between models and/or generations. But I am not experienced enough to help you.

A couple weeks ago, on YouTube, I stumbled upon a channel by the Fire Escape Griller. He uses a Q 1200 quite expertly, in my opinion.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Steven,

Here is my attempt at a quick rundown: In the used Q market, there are the older 100/120, 200/220 and 300s. The next generation (which are showing up for resale a lot now) are the 1000/1200, the 2000/2200 and the 3200.

The 300/3200 is the largest Q and was meant to bring the cool features and ease of use/maintenance of the Q to your porch. It has a big size and the versatility of 2 burners. It is not as readily transportable, however, and doesn't meet your requirements.

The 100/120/1000/1200 are the smallest Qs. They can do quite a bit and have a pretty high btu/sq inch ratio. The 120/1200 brings you the thermometer and I believe a higher hood. These are very transportable. As far as carts go, you can pair this one up with the older and newer style of collapsible carts you can find pretty readily. The newer one is almost all plastic and maybe collapses more fully. If you really plan on cooking mostly for 2 and occasionally 4 this is probably all you need. There are some great deals on these as they are common. You can even get ones with team logos and wild colors.

The 200/220/2000/2200 is the compromise grill. That is a good thing. These grills have considerably more space than the small Q, but they are still readily transportable and will also fit on the carts I mentioned above. I personally LOVE these grills, especially the 2200. Again, the 220/2200 brings you a thermometer and a higher hood. Also an electric start at least on the 2200. I like the style of the 2200 and the angled thermometer which is easier to monitor than the front mounted one on the 220. About the only bad rap you will hear about these grills is that they have a low btu/sq in ratio. Some people seem to believe they don't get hot enough. I previously had a Q200 (and in a quiet hunt for a 2200) and can say that as long as you give these a reasonable chance to get hot they will do GREAT searing and wonderfully even grilling. Just keep them clean which is a breeze thanks to the simple design. Clean up the grate, lift it off and use a plastic scraper to push the grease into the center bottom grease pan lined with the same removable aluminum trays you use in a Genesis. Wire brush your burner. Five minutes and you are all ready for another smooth grill out.

wrzyaa.jpg

2rgjqmq.jpg

My red 200 below has the all plastic collapsible cart:

10gdafr.jpg

Here is another Q200 that I restored that has the older style cart. Again either of these carts work with both the 100/1000 and the 200/2000 series Q grills:

9sy0cz.jpg

Have fun checking out options and searching for a great deal. If you are patient, they are out there. I got the one pictured above for $10! Just some elbow grease and paint.

Last edited:
Good luck. Around my area very few q's show up and when the do they are to expensive. I have been hunting for a cheap q120 going on 3 years.

Q's seem to show up pretty readily. I think you get a lit of ex campers/tailgaters and pcnic(ers) who just kind of give up on them. IMO they make perfect garage grills for when you really want to grill up some chicken or steak what have you but it's raining or snowing. The Q models are small enough to tick away in a corner of the garage and pull out when you want. For your request I would highly recommend nothing larger that a 2 series as the 3 series is just to large/heavy and married to that cart to be portable.

Can't add much to what every one else said here except that a Q100/1000 is the perfect camping grill. The Q200/2000 is also great for camping if you have room and you need the extra grilling space.

Just keep your eyes open on CL and FB marketplace. They pop up around here pretty regular. I picked up a Q100 last night for $10 with collapsible stand, cover and 20lb tank adapter hose.

Uae83kR.jpg

Your other option is to keep an eye on the big box stores. When they start clearing out their grills to make way for snow blowers and shovels, they have some nice deals. I bought a new Q140 (electric) at Home Depot a few years back for $67.

Also just in review remember if you want the taller lid you need a Q120/1200 or 220/2200 The 3 series Q's all have the same height lid

FYI, this style of collapsible stand can serve as a rolling cart while the grill is attached to it:

9sy0cz.jpg

I have a Q200 with that same stand. I took it camping with me this summer along with a 5 lb propane tank from a 1st generation Performer. It worked well for my needs.

FYI, this style of collapsible stand can serve as a rolling cart while the grill is attached to it:

9sy0cz.jpg

I have a Q200 with that same stand. I took it camping with me this summer along with a 5 lb propane tank from a 1st generation Performer. It worked well for my needs.

That definitely looks like the stand I want.
Sounds like a Q120/1200 would be ideal. I'd rather have smaller/lighter than the slightly bigger 2200, and the 3200 is just way off the list.

Thanks all for the info. I'll keep looking for a $50 max grill.

I was surprised that the Q1200 (I think) was $200 new at Lowes. As I can use some coupons to drop that down to $160. So a used one that needs new grates or parts, would have to be under $50 for sure.

Thank you all,

Can't add much to what every one else said here except that a Q100/1000 is the perfect camping grill. The Q200/2000 is also great for camping if you have room and you need the extra grilling space.

Just keep your eyes open on CL and FB marketplace. They pop up around here pretty regular. I picked up a Q100 last night for $10 with collapsible stand, cover and 20lb tank adapter hose.

Uae83kR.jpg

Your other option is to keep an eye on the big box stores. When they start clearing out their grills to make way for snow blowers and shovels, they have some nice deals. I bought a new Q140 (electric) at Home Depot a few years back for $67.

From what everyone has said, Q120/1200 does sound big enough, and smaller. That deal for $10 with a cart is a steal!!

I'll keep looking .

Thanks

I have three of those carts now. They are great portable grills and like stated above, the carts actually can be used to pull the grills which is nice with the Q200 since they are bigger and heavier.

NMZOqmz.jpg

Back